Usb joystick doesn't work on new OS install

Howdy all,

Not sure if this is the proper forum to post as this at first I thought my problems might be a software issue, but after some testing and fiddling around I'm beginning to think it might be a hardware or bios issue. Let me explain.

For Christmas my loving wife let me purchase a new computer case for my computer guts. So after moving the hardware to the new case, I decided to do some bios upgrading and windows reinstalling, ugh, what fun. I flashed my Lanparty NF4 sli-dr with Ocz tony's 704-2bta bios and reinstalled windows. I had been running the 623-3 version for my tccd memory. I am not overclocking and my hardware has been rock solid stable for the past year. I slipstreamed SP2 and nvidia chipset drivers (for my Raid0 hard drive config) into my WinXP cd using nlite and reinstalled windows. During the past year I have been running an Evga 6800 GT in the second slot of the PCIe because or chipset heat issues. I replaced my previous chipset cooler with a Thermalright HR-05 SLI and moved my graphics card back to the top PCIe slot. The OS installation went fine, as was expected. I then installed the same software I have been using, for example: antivirus, keyboard and mouse drivers, misc drivers for my hardware. Basically everything was exactly as it was before I reformatted, or so I thought.

For my mouse and keyboard I'm using an usb logitech MX518 mouse and an usb logitech G15 keyboard. Both are great and so far have had no problems with them, although the software logitech puts kind of sucks. Anyways, I also have a Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro 2 usb joystick (best joystick ever made in my opinion because it never needs to be calibrated. It's a shame they don't make them anymore.)

Ok if you kept up with me so far, here is the problem. As an owner of a Logitech G15 keyboard, the lcd screen is indispensable. I use various lcd programs to monitor games and to monitor my temps and fans when I'm in a game. These programs are the same programs I used before reinstalling windows. My problem is when I plug my Microsoft joystick into the USB port the lcd software locks up. It doesn't lock up the computer, it only locks up the lcd software. The joystick works fine, just the lcd screen goes to the crapper. To get it working again, I have to reboot and unplug the joystick. This is the same logitech keyboard software I had been using for the past 8 months with the old bios and had not encountered a problem like this. I also have a saitek usb joystick and plugging it in also locks up the keyboard. Trying various usb ports on the motherboard and on the keyboard will still lock up the lcd screen. I've noticed that when I boot Windows with the joystick plugged in Windows can't start the joystick drivers, and the lcd screen doesn't work. It's only when I've unplugged the joystick does the lcd work.

The only thing that I've really changed with my computer is the bios, the video card PCIe placement and the chipset drivers slipstreamed into the Windows install cd. I'm at a loss on how I can get my keyboard to play nicely with my joystick, no pun intended. I done an number of windows installs before posting this so I'm safe to assume it wasn't a windows installation fault. I'm not sure about the chipset drivers and I don't want to have to flash back to the 623 bios and lose my Raid drives. Am I missing something in the bios that I forgot to set when I flashed to the 704 bios?

Anyways, I'm desperate and was hoping that someone could help me get to the bottom of this problem. Not sure what else to say, expect sorry for the long post and if you need more explanation or any tips on fixes please post. I'm willing to try most anything. lol!

Thanks,

dillweed

Are you using any MS drivers to install the Joystick, or is it the "plug-n-play" ones from Windows itself?

I have the exact same combination, well instead of the Sidewinder Precision Pro 2 I am using the FF one, not sure if its the same. I don't have any problems but sometimes when I plugged the Joystick another USB stopped working; the hardware that stopped working was my Creative web cam. This happened only sometimes, and it went away when I installed my LCD screen; aparently the USB hub in it changed something somewhere. When the camera stopped working all I had to do was disconnect it and reconnect it, and all was good then... if the LCD froze it might have been the USB disconnecting or something, yet from what you explained the keyboard keeps working, right?

My only recomendation is to change the USB connectors for both the G15 and the MS Joystick to any other USB available. Check out the IRQ's, maybe the problem starts there with it being shared by too many devices.

I don't recomend leaving the Media Player applet, or actually any of the default Logitech ones... only the CPU usage is useful and there are better ones at the G15 Forums. I installed a ton of new ones and haven't had any problems so far: both BF2 and BF2142 applets, MBM5, netspeed, Fraps, task manager, and another one I keep forgetting its name.

• 3 weeks later...

Fixed this problem if anyone is having the same dealio. It seems that increasing the usb polling rate from the default to 500mhz crapped out my joystick and keyboard combination. I thought I had the polling rate at 500mhz before I reinstalled WinXP, but I could be wrong. Anyways, I dropped the polling rate to 250mhz and all is fine.

Later,

Dillweed