Sign in to follow this  
Oclock

Computer took a crap

Well I just got home from school, booted up comp and started checking email. Ten minutes later, all of the sudden it just went down. Still had power to monitor so i know i didnt unplug it. I unpulgged it and reset cmos for a few minutes, plugged it back in and pushed the power button, all i get is a flash of blue light from my fan then nothing. I think my PS might have taken a crap on me. Both of the orange test lights are on, and I can only get the lights to flicker the first time i try to start it after I unplug/plug it back in. Any suggestions?

First try a long CMOS clear like this http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...16&postcount=19 Then try it with just 1 stick of ram in the orange slot nearest the edge of the board. and see if it will boot. If so them load optimised defaults and run memtest on your ram. 1 stick at a time 10 passes if it passes then do the other stick ssme slot. if OK then put the second stick in the other orange slot and see if she'll boot up.

I was actually in the process of this when I was posting. I let it sit about 5 minutes or so, and again all I get is a flicker of all the lights and the fan spins for just a second, then nothing. It wont flicker again unless I unplug and plug it back it. I also noted a smell that kind of smelled like new computer, if you know what I mean, but there was definitly a different odor when it happened

I just took my PSU to my local PC shop and it checks out fine, i didnt have a DMM handy. The only thing i can think of is MB and CPU. How would I go about checking which one it is?

Yes, it is currently built outside of my case. I tried each stick of RAM seperatly, and followed th guide that you linked. Still won't post, all i get is an initial flicker then nothing.

Alright, well I'm just going to let it sit for a while I guess, if the 24 hour reset doesnt work, my mobo is shot? Then what are my options. If it means a 2 week long process I might as well just buy a new one.

you sure the powersupply is good? maybe he just jumpstarted the psu and saw that it ran. If it's just capable of running that doesn't necessarily mean it can handle a load.

well from what i saw he checked all the rails with a dmm, is there some way i could test it to check if it is the ps? when i try the long cmos clear i still get the same thing, im holding down the insert key, plug it in and try to turn it on, all i get is the initial flicker then nothing.

A little update, my friend just got a new PSU in the mail today so I had him bring it over to test it my in comp, and it does the exact same thing. Im almost positive now that my motherboard is shot. Whats steps should I take to getting it replaced?