CPU fan stops spinning

hi, i have a small problem with my hsf. i brought an amd system a couple of months ago, and during the first few weeks, i turned on the computer, and the fan won't spin after about 5-10 seconds, so i hold down the power button and power it up then it will continue to spin normally.I solved this problem after a while, by removing an extra molex connector at the bottom on the motherboard, which i'm guessing for to give the motherboard more power, for sli use.

At this present time, the fan has been stopping more and more often. I'll shut the computer down in the morning, boot it up again in the evening, and it's take about 5-10 pushes of the power switch (to restart it), until it spins right. :S

So naturally, i'm just wondering if anyone knows, or can guess what is happening here? Because as far as i know, it shouldn't be doing that, i fear it will bring my cpu closer to its day of reckoning.

by removing an extra molex connector at the bottom on the motherboard, which i'm guessing for to give the motherboard more power, for sli use.

If this is still removed then replace it as it is ment to be connected to the mobo, if you cant replace it then you have an issue with your psu.

Logan

That extra molex (4 pin) has to be connected?

and also, the fan now spins better now that i have changed the temperatures, but now it rapidly and very very frequently changes rpm, you can even hear the changes in rpm very clearly, is this normal?

It's almost like it is howling :S

Well depends on what type of HSF you have on top of your cpu, cheaper usually means a "whiner", but yes it should be normal, the chipset fan can be whiny its a good chance its that you can hear, it ramps up and down so you can here it alot......Its best replacing it, i did as the chipset fan was the noisest thing in the build, now its gone its nice and quiet,,,,,,replaced it with Evercool VC-RE.....temps dropped almost 10c as well so all was good.

YES YOU HAVE to have that molex plugged in, that is what it is there for. IF you have stability problems with it unplugged then as i said you have issue with your psu, ie its not up to the task at hand.....

Logan

what temps are you running...

Do you have smart gaurdian installed....if so...hit the options tab and adjust the sliders to make the fan run continous if you so desire....

If you are running the 3700 at stock...it very well may run cool enough to dip down below the 26c bios setting... making the cpu fan oscillate....

On my spare SLI-DR with a 3700 it idles at 22c and the cpu fan doesnt run till it hits 26c.... but you can adjust the on/off in the smart gaurdian options tab...just set the off to like 18c and the fully on at 20c and it will run all the time...;)

i've tried everything you guys have suggested. But it did it again.

I turned it off in the morning about 9 and get back from job centre thingy about 3 or 4, turn it back on and it still stops after 10 seconds, right as it gets to the logo screen.

I've set all the temps in BIOs under "pc health" as 25, and tried that smart guardian, which worked fine this morning, but the boot.... uh uh *shakes head*

so this is a "No Boot" issue?

your thread is bit confusing if that is the case.. In reading the thread thought you just had a problem with your fans, specifically chipset or CPU.