What is it that people do not Read the Motherboard Manual

ComicDom1

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree...

When I test a new board I always read the manual first...usually it goes in the B/R pile...then I reference it when I am mocking up the board and getting ready to fire it up...;)

but it wouldnt matter if it was made a sticky...a poster has it in his mind to post the question and bypass the sticky just as he/she did the manual...but we all educate them rather quickly...;)

This is one topic that I agree with whole-heartedly. Who could have anything neagative to say about it.

I have always been known as the "anal one". I read the manual on anything that I buy before going any further. Because of this, I answer many question for people. --- Strange concept.

Unlike some people believe, the manual is there to help you, not to read when everything else fails.

I have a Biostar board that is like a "poster child" for reading the manual!

It has a unique jumper that must be changed prior to resetting the cmos - if you don't do this, you'lll wear a hole in the wall from banging your head against it in frustration!

Although the manual itself is horribly bad, you'd never know about this "quirk" if you didn't read it!

hey you guys remember that dude I helped in chat before the forums were open?

he had some ECS or MSI motherboard that I'd never heard of before, and couldn't get RAID to work or something, so I just downloaded the manual for his board, read the RAID BIOS section, and blammo it was fixed for him instantly....

i mean, if a dumbass like me can read a manual for a board he don't have in front of him and has never even seen or heard of before, and fix it for a guy 1000's of miles away, that's a good sign that EVERYONE should read the mobo manual that came with their board (or download the latest version from the mfg's website).

right?

am I right?

or what?

lol

he had some ECS or MSI motherboard that I'd never heard of before, and couldn't get RAID to work or something, so I just downloaded the manual for his board, read the RAID BIOS section, and blammo it was fixed for him instantly....

i mean, if a dumbass like me can read a manual for a board he don't have in front of him and has never even seen or heard of before, and fix it for a guy 1000's of miles away, that's a good sign that EVERYONE should read the mobo manual that came with their board (or download the latest version from the mfg's website).

right?

am I right?

or what?

lol

Exactly!

If I get stuck I check the manual; If I'm still stuck I got to tech support and/or web forums for help.

Things like beep/LED codes, SATA chipset capabilities (in my case), and just plain common sense.

Will admit to being an occasional offender, like anyone else I guess. And the fact it would probably already be mentioned somewhere here as well.

personally i have never read a manual for anything unless i absolutely could not figure it out myself. im a gluten for punishment though... only time i have ever really read a manual properly was when i was finding out the keys and controls for X2:The Threat... still have that manual beside me :(

I just finished reading through the manual for my gigabyte ds3. It took a little over a week.

I had the following questions.

a) For MCH/FSB addon voltage, what is the core voltage? It's +0.1, +0.2, and +0.3, but what am I adding onto? If the stock is 1.65, I didn't want to add. If 1.45, yes. If 1.75, no.

B) How do I get to the memory timings? ctrl-f1, but I found this answer in flashchat and in IRC. I should see this on their website. I should see it in the manual as well.

c) What do silly options to increase graphics card speed mean? There's auto, fast, and turbo. I'm not sure if the exact option is turbo, but it was a synonym.

These are all things I found online, but were they in the manual? No. The manual restates what I see in the BIOS. It's like asking someone "what does trabajar mean", and getting "it means trabajar". Asking on a forum would be like asking "what does trabajar mean", and getting "it means work".

I'm not saying it's right to avoid manuals and stickies and forums. There are issues the manual can resolve. But the motherboard manual, IMO from reading several, is useless for anything and everything I want to know excluding what pins do I jump to turn the thing on, and what pins do I jump to reset cmos. Forums, forum stickies, are a great resource. The motherboard manual is not. It is the same generic information you can find out using common sense, just restated in 17 different languages incase someone in south antarctica decides he wants to upgrade to a 975 chipset.

You know, angry? I think Comicdom deserves an avatar for this thread alone.

Beyond that, I was there when you did that little manual bit in the chatroom... eesh. It was pretty pathetic.

right?

am I right?

or what?

lol