Most Popular HSF For Opty 165

Guest DasFox_merged

Guest DasFox

Well I know just about all the names in HSFans, but I'd like to hear the results of what others are using to make a choice for my next HSF.

Right now I'm using a Thermaltake CL-P0200 Silent 939.

http://www.thermaltake.com/product/cooler/...00/cl-p0200.asp

I've been wondering seeing how people are getting good overclocks on the Opty 165 with good stepping that doesn't seem to need much voltage if my TT HSF will be just fine, or I should consider another.

Anyhow do tell what you use.

THANKS

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tuniq Tower 120 performs better than the top Zalmans and Thermaltakes.

But, it is one of the biggest pains in the butt to install I've ever experienced, outside a case. Inside a case.. forget it. Your hand will be cut up so bad the blood will short your mobo. :O So I would suggest installing it outside of the case than putting the board into the case with the heatsink attached.

It's not fun, but when you see your temps, you'll forget all about it. When I upgraded from the Zalman 7700cu to the Tuniq, even at low fan speeds it was amazing how much better it was. My Venice 3000+ had no real voltage limit anymore, I could keep the damn fan off at 2.4 GHz and it'd be fine... I could run 0.1v higher at the same temperature as the zalman.

The fan is replaceable. If you can find a picture of the top of it, that black thing screws into the heatsink, you screw the fan onto the black thing then put the black thing inside the heatsink, then screw it in.

My watercooling exists of the following.. a D5 pump at full speed, an Aquaextreme MP-05 LE waterblock, a swiftech mcr320 radiator with three 2000 RPM 120mm fans(I throttle them down for obvious reasons), and a GPU/chipset block.

In a warm room, the Tuniq did 83c or so with orthos runnng, at 3.6 GHz, 1.535v. The watercooling with the fans fully blowin' does about high 60s to mid 70s at 1.55v, which is one notch higher.. I stopped using 1.535 because it was unstable, so I have no direct comparison with the Tuniq, as it is currently in another system.

When the room is freezing, the Watercooling'll do low 60s and sometimes high 50s at 1.55v, and the Tuniq at 1.535v in the freezing room did mid to high 70s.

Now I blatantly cheat and keep my radiator in the window. The fans aren't even on and I get 43c full load temp at 1.55v. The rad is as wide as the motherboard, and sits about eight inches from it, so if I turn the fans on, it blows the freezing air right onto the board to cool the RAM, all the board stuff. NYC winters are great for overclocking. :D I prefer to keep this off though, since the nighttable the board sits on is right behind my chair, so when I recline I get a 30F breeze across my neck.

Before the Tuniq, I had a zalman 7700cu. It cooled my 3000+ venice, at 2.6 GHz 1.65v, about 3-4c higher than it did at 1.5v, 2.4 GHz. At 1.6v, it was the same damn temperature(with fan RPM on both set to 2000), that the zalman was at 1.5v, sometimes 1c cooler.

I remounted each at least three times, so temps differed a bit from time to time, but that was the general consensus.

The only problem with it is that the fan blows in the same direction as a PSU intake fan, opposed in the direction of the old zalmans. The mosfets on the mobo boil with this thing on unless I use vga ramsinks, and put a fan in there creatively somehow, or have 2x80mm exhaust fans in the perfect spot.

My personal Top 5

Ranked by performance...

1. Tuniq Tower

2. Thermalright Ultra-120

3. Scythe Ninja

4. Thermaltake Big Typhoon*

5. Scythe Infinity

Honorable Mention: Thermaltake SI-128

Ranked by Price...

1. $34.95 - Thermaltake Ultra-120

2. $35.95 - Scythe Ninja Rev B

3. $44.95 - Scythe Infinity

4. $39.49 - Thermaltake Big Typoon

5. $52.95 - Tuniq Tower

Personally I would buy the Ultra-120. For the money it has the best fit and finish.

*The Thermaltake Big Typhoon can be modified for better performance by attaching additional copper heatsinks to the base. Check out this post over at oc.net for more information.

Cheers

My personal Top 5

Ranked by performance...

1. Tuniq Tower

2. Thermalright Ultra-120

3. Scythe Ninja

4. Thermaltake Big Typhoon*

5. Scythe Infinity

Honorable Mention: Thermaltake SI-128

*The Thermaltake Big Typhoon can be modified for better performance by attaching additional copper heatsinks to the base. Check out this post over at oc.net for more information.

Cheers

So the Thermalright SI-128 doesn't even fit into the top 5? Is the BT 4th with or without the mod?

the part about the used 100cfm fan for the test with the ramsinks , but only a stock fan without looks to be distorting the results. Id like to see him do the same thing with the same fan each time.

I love my Big Typhoon.I replaced the fan with a Panaflo 120x38mm 115cfm fan

I lapped it to 1500 grit too. Right now as I'm typing this I'm running 300x9

1.375v dual Prime95.Load temps never go above 40c,using CoreTemp to

monitor temps.