Sign in to follow this  
Danuel

Upgrading Current system or wait

So far right now im torn between getting a opty 170 or 165 socket 939 to get that extra boost outta my system for newer GPUs and upcoming gaming. becasue i know the cpu i have right now is great, but will have a bottle neck with newer gpus to come, thus why i want to get a opty or a 2x1mb l2 cache x2 4400 or 4800. Although 939 is aging, is it worth buying a CPU for this board, or buying a AM2 board and cpu later on, only thing is with AM2 i would need new memory also which is costly, what would you guys do in my situation, just get the 939 opty and call it a day or wait and shell out more money for a newer setup..?

thanks in advance.

If you want to upgrade, just go with the Opty 165 or 170 in S939. The performance difference between the two socket types (and corresponding memory changes) isn't big enough to justify the additional cost IMHO. I think Happy Games did a nice test awhile ago showing that.

I asked BFG a somewhat related question about their 8800gtx. While it does not match your particular specs, you might find their reply interesting, looks like they say you should have a dual core to run it right..................

[bill] wrote:

> Ordered your 8800gtx today from tigerdirect. Since then I read an

> article at tomshardware.com that states without a very high end cpu

> you cannot get the full potential of the 8800gtx.

> I have an AMD FX53 2.4ghz cpu which I run at 1900x1200 res. Will my

> cpu hamstring my new gpu? I was unable to find in your online specs

> what the cpu requirements are.

Their reply...............

[bill]

Being that the FX53 is a single core, but a high end single core you will probably bottle neck the GPU a bit, being that its not a dual core. I doubt it will a great deal though and you should be fine.

Thank you,

Tony H

BFG Support

If you are going to upgrade, get the 170. You will need the 10x multi with your current ram.

But is it really worth upgrading to an opteron? What do you have your current cpu clocked at? You should be able to get at least 2.6 out of it....

I wouldn't worry about your cpu bottlenecking a new gpu, how much performance will you really lose? 5%-10% maybe? I don't know, but it can't be a huge deal...

If you are going to upgrade anything to handle a 8800 or R600, I would think that your money would be better spent on a new PSU.

My Current CPU is @ stock, and yeah i was thinking of 170 for the 10x , i hear my ram brickwalls at 225 according to reviews,i have not over clocked this cpu becasue i plan to sell it once i upgrade. but since i wont have a noticably large performance loss, i may just spend on a new GPU when they hit, my PSU puts out 18a per 12v, which is what 36a total? the 8800gtx and gts require 30A, i generally go for the more main stream vid cards, i dont do super hard core gaming, so when the 8000 mainstream models come out ill get one of those,would i really need a new PSU in that case? or were you speaking as far as a 8800gts/gtx for a new PSU, my PSU should handle over clockiing a 170 no prob i would think. I dont udnerstand where you are coming from on needing a new PSU for what im looking for, its on the reccomended list for mid range set up. An overclocked slightly 170 and a midrange vid card would be considered in that range woudlnt you say, or is that more along the middle high range?

I would at least try to overclock the CPU you have if you are thinking on overclocking the other. The one you have has such high memory bandwidth stock you can often overclock even at stock memory speeds and get big gains in performance. Because of the great memroy performance you really dont see much improvement from a larger cash or the DDR2 of the AM2. You never know how it will do until you try.

You have a 3800+, going to an Opteron 165 or 170 would more or less be a horizontal move. You won't realize the slight performance gain.

I agree with the others, try overclocking and you will get a nice boost at no cost.

If you want to upgrade your GPU to the 8800 series you would also want to upgrade your power supply.

A 7900 GS FOR ABOUT THE SAME COST AS the opty 170 would be a huge step up, not to mention they tend to OC well. You also would not need the new psu like you would with the 8800. There will be better dx10 cards to come out soon, and the 7900gs will hold you over nicely until you decide to build a new system

iamkoza, building a new Rig is something i do not plan on doing for a while, but upgrading to a 7900gs is something i have been thinking of doing for a while now, becasue i have heard great things about them. i am considering jumping up to one from EVGA, and getting a new PSU, and using the eVGA step up program when the 8000 mainstreams come out. sounds like a good idea to me.

My Current CPU is @ stock, and yeah i was thinking of 170 for the 10x , i hear my ram brickwalls at 225 according to reviews,i have not over clocked this cpu becasue i plan to sell it once i upgrade. but since i wont have a noticably large performance loss, i may just spend on a new GPU when they hit, my PSU puts out 18a per 12v, which is what 36a total? the 8800gtx and gts require 30A, i generally go for the more main stream vid cards, i dont do super hard core gaming, so when the 8000 mainstream models come out ill get one of those,would i really need a new PSU in that case? or were you speaking as far as a 8800gts/gtx for a new PSU, my PSU should handle over clockiing a 170 no prob i would think. I dont udnerstand where you are coming from on needing a new PSU for what im looking for, its on the reccomended list for mid range set up. An overclocked slightly 170 and a midrange vid card would be considered in that range woudlnt you say, or is that more along the middle high range?

That antec PSU will be fine for overclocking your existing cpu or an opteron. I had the same PSU powering my rig before I went to watercooling. Had my opty OCed to 270x10 @ 1.425v. OC your current chip, you'll probably get at least 2.6 out of her...

I recommended that you upgrade your PSU if you were thinking of getting a GTS/GTX, those are some power hungry beasts. I don't know what kind power reqs. the mid-range 8xxx will have but if they aren't to high you would probably be OK with what you have.

iamkoza, building a new Rig is something i do not plan on doing for a while, but upgrading to a 7900gs is something i have been thinking of doing for a while now, becasue i have heard great things about them. i am considering jumping up to one from EVGA, and getting a new PSU, and using the eVGA step up program when the 8000 mainstreams come out. sounds like a good idea to me.

forgot about the step up program, your plan you spelled out in this post sounds like a winner to me

Sign in to follow this