Sign in to follow this  
Smoken Joe

Citrix servers? Does any one have expericne with these on either end?

The job I work at is planning on trying a Citrix system for data control. Any thoughts comments or experiences? I will be a user not working designing the computers abut with some input We will be looking at the input devices soon what to look for and things to ask for? It looks like they are on a windows system and our computer charting and information systems suck beyond belief right now. More then ten min on some of the computers and you can expect to crash. I try to separate fun and work but this could either save a lot of lives or take them if done wrong.

Citrix for data control? Citrix would allow you to run applications on it in one of a couple modes, but either mode runs the apps from the server using the client as display only. That may be perfect for a hand held device with a wireless connection so that you can view web pages faster as the browser runs on the server (and use a web gateway to your data) or even have a virtual desktop screen displayed from the handheld.

What sort of data do you need to control? What's the end result you're looking for?

They have Citrix at the school where I went / worked. It works pretty good for their student database software as it was pretty much designed to be run through it.

However they put Office on it and use it for the student computers. All they ever have there is problems though as the server seems to always be messing up or students having problems getting on it, etc.

Then again, the network admin there is a moron so that's proally the biggest part of the problem. So if your people know what their doing it should work out quite well. Though replacing some apps on desktops with Citrix makes no sence, like Office...

We use Citrix here at my work, but just to run apps on a central server that we can remotely connect to. Our guys had some setup problems a couple of years ago, but it has gotten much better. After they changed to a web frontend for launching of the apps it got a lot better.

I worked at a large medical center this summer in IS. They use Citrix for a variety of things. (ie running medical imaging applications)

All in all I found it quite easy to work with, all things considered.

Smoken, I could contact the Citrix administrator if you would like to know more, I worked with him quite closely during my apprenticeship.

The big question on our end is what user hardware is best I dont have much control in the network part of the system.
I am a RN not part of IT or Informatics the jobs are open but I would not want that headache full time I only work 2-3 days a week in the summer.

The hospital I work at is looking at going paperless and moving everything to one system. Need to know some basic hardware requirments for stability at on the user end- we get some choice in what devices we use though they are not specific about options yet I know laptops and PDA's are two options.

It is actualy rare to have a secessful transistion to papercharting in the ICU though it is common in floor nursing. I will tell you coding a paitent without acess to info puts a whole new meaning to SOL. So I would love for this to go smoothly if possible.

Talking to the Admin would be great David though you might be able to answer the questions I need. We already use it for some apps like radiology and it works well for that but they are using dual socket opteron stations and it is smooth as silk on them but barly runs on the nursing computers.

There are tons of mony in Hospital computer systems if you enjoy that kind of thing and are decent with people. They are always looking for work at diffrent copanys areound here.