better to buy or build a desktop?

85Dave

I asked him for the stuff that came with it, and he said "what the big bit of paper telling me how to plug the monitor in ?".

Looks like he does not have a real CD, but, I hope its in the bottom of the box somewhere, I have told him to go back to the shop and tell them he is going to report them to M$ for stolen software if they will not, its worked for others ;)

Nowadays PC vendors often do not include a physical Windows CD; but instead have an image of it on a restore partition. Generally they have instructions on how to burn copies of the Windows and software discs in case the OP wants to repartition the drive to it's full capacity.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@radodrill

Yep, it looks like it has the image partition thing, I can make him a sort of windows CD from that which will work like a real M$ CD. He also has a Vista upgrade ticket [?] so I 'think' he can get an unstable crude alpha TCP/IP'ed OS if he is really silly, but I have said I will not be using it, so will be of no real use to him.

I still have not moved over to XP as its too slow over 2000 with and running the same stuff and not as secure, and think server 2003 64bit/ *nix will be the 64 bit OS and good old win 2000 for everyday use with the RDX 200... we will see how it goes.

If the OP wants to build his own I am sure we can help him along, a DFI board might not be the best for a first time build, but I dont 'really' know the range as I am a new DFI user with my RDX 200 about to be booted for the first time in the next hour or so, but I am happy to help via e-mail or what ever.

The image burned off the backup partition is an exact copy of the official MS CD.

The Upgrade ticket is a voucher so the owner can get a free copy of the upgrade version of Vista; most probably by mail.