160gb 3.0gb/s RAID 0 vs Raptor

Splave

All "optimized for RAID" means is that in the case of an error, it will stop trying to recover the data(leave this to the RAID controller), so it doesn't drop out of the array, opposed to trying to recover data for up to a minute and dropping out of the array. I think the RE series waits 5-8 seconds opposed to 25 on normal series.. something like that.

If you're having these kinds of errors, chances are the last thing you'll be worried about is speed anyway.

The latter combo, of two 160s would be faster, but not for the optimized for RAID reason.

Although I can't in good faith recommend a WD drive due to how many failures I have with two different models from that brand.

A raptor isn't much faster than a normal drive. It will have slightly faster seek times, but the data transfer speed will be pretty much the same as any other drive.

The Raid-0 array will be faster just cause you have 2 drives instead of 1. I used to use 2 36gb raptors in raid and don't notice much if any difference with the two WD 250's I'm currently using.

As for a difference, well it depends on how much your programs access the hard drive. Since I play MMO's and their accessing the drives fairly often from zoning and all, it makes that much faster. But if you mainly game and play FPS games I doubt you'll see much of a difference. Especially if you have 2gb of ram as the games won't be accessing the page file much. Now if you do a lot of other things that use the hard drives a lot like... Ummm... Multichannel audio recording or working with raw video or that kind of stuff, you'll definately notice a difference going to raid.

While Thasp has had problems, I've been using WD hard drives for over 7 years and never had one fail on me. I still have some of the first ones I got running.

just for sake of argument...

I have a 160gb Seagate sata 3.0 and a raptor sata 1.5 and the seagate is almost as fast... but far better pricing...

for a single drive I see

Seagate 160....62.1 average read times...

Raptor 74gig 64.7 average read times...

you would NOT notice the difference except in your wallet....I could get 2 seagate 160's for what I paid for the raptor..;)

dr_bowtie, there's an assortment of versions of the 74gb Raptor, apparently you received one of the slowest ones. The faster ones get 70+MBps read speed.

btw, my new wd caviar se 16 500gb sata II drive gets 68.6MBps read speed... or so hdparm tells me.