Need a new PSU

hunter1801

After checking prices everywhere, I decided Im going to get the OCZ. Too good of a deal to pass up. One thing I was wondering about is why you (Thasp) said "I usually wouldn't have the OCZ on the top of my recommended list". Why is that?

After checking prices everywhere, I decided Im going to get the OCZ. Too good of a deal to pass up. One thing I was wondering about is why you (Thasp) said "I usually wouldn't have the OCZ on the top of my recommended list". Why is that?

Good for you! It is a sturdy power supply :P

I kind of wondered that too.. were you the one who had to RMA his back to OCZ for some reason?

For every person like me, there are 9999 people who'll say theirs is quiet, and that they haven't had a single issue with it. Also keep in mind that I classy lady about almost every piece of hardware I own, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

That being said, the first one fried a few boards. The new one now works fine, but for the first two days, it didn't work right. This being a pro OCZ forum I prefer not to go into further detail with this stuff... They don't do advance RMAs either, which would have not been fun if I didn't have the spare PSU on hand. I can't complain since it's now working right, but if something randomly begins working again for no reason I don't consider it a fully closed case until I find out what caused the silly behavior in the first place. An old Sparkle 500 unit and an antec have not given me issues that were this serious, but they're not on the recommended list so I do not recommend them either.

It's also pretty loud compared to the fortron brothers, and replacing the fan voids the warranty. This didn't stop me from doing it. Now it's very quiet. When I tried plugging the stock fan back in, I found it impossible.. the pinholes on the stock fan's connector are very thin, and you can't fit your fingers around that areas. After about half an hour I broke the fan header pins inside the PSU and gave up, so now I use the quiet fan I have hooked to a fan controller.

I cut the fan wires up, took the insulation off the ends(not like it's transferring 200 watts of power or anything), and retied it back together after running it out the back of the PSU, then put it to a fan controller.. once I get some solder and electrical tape I'll finish the job so it looks neater. Here's what it looks like modded now, incase you're interested in doing this once you hear it. :)

http://thasp.net:4000/OCZGXS/

Aside from that, for $8*.. that's an insanely price.

My Antec TP 2.0 550 has a fan that's too stupid to throttle up when it gets hot, so I had to add my own. The sparkle under a heavy overclocked load is loud and also not up to the same challenge that the antec was(too many kernel panics).. the only PSU I can say I can fully recommend without reservation is the PCP&P 610 silencer. It's quiet but when you abuse it you don't have to worry about the fan not going up to cool it off(installing a second fan on the antec was not fun), it's worked for friend's computers that I have helped them clock as high as mine + better/more graphics cards. My next PSU will certainly be one of those, or a seasonic if I choose to spend less money(also an awesome manufacturer, they made the new corsair models).