PS3 hard drive: can I do this?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Onixman

Onixman

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 04:14 PM

We all know that the PS3 has a notebook/laptop HD that is so easy to upgrade that even George W. Bush could do it (lowest IQ of all US presidents in history for those who don't read too much, but lets keep the focus).
In fact I believe 60Gb aren't enough for me and upgrading is almost crucial. The fact is: notebook hard drives are not only small (hard to find the expensive 160gb models) but you can't have more then 100Gb in 7200RPMs.
Since the PS3 has several USB ports I was wondering, PS3 already owners: can't we hook up an external USB HD with, lets say, 500GB? Its not only bigger but also faster.

Has anyone tried that? Let us know. And thanks in advance

#2 UncleDavid218

UncleDavid218

Total Nerd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3866 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 05:06 PM

www.google.com? ;)

PS there's no need to poke fun at a president, no matter how disagreeable he may be

This isn't the place for political debate :)

#3 taowulf

taowulf

Certified Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1731 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 05:11 PM

www.google.com? ;)

PS there's no need to poke fun at a president, no matter how disagreeable he may be

This isn't the place for political debate :)

Eh?
Dataseed - DFI P35-T2R - Intel E6850 Core2Duo @ 4Ghz - 2GB (2x1024) Geil Black Dragon EVO ONE [email protected] - eVGA 8800 GT Superclocked 650Mhz/950Mhz - 2x Maxtor 75GB 6Y080m0 SATA RAID 0 - 750GB Hitachi Deskstar- Pioneer DVD-RW DVR212D SATA - OCZ GameXStream 700W - Samsung 226BW - Logitech G15 Keyboard - Razer Diamondback - WinXP Home SP2- Coolermaster Stacker STC-T01 Cooling - Danger Den MC-TDX - Danger Den IONE - Swiftech MR320QR - DDC 3.2 w/Petra top - 1/2 Inch Tygon - Zalman ZM-MFC1 Plus Fan Controller

Dead March - DFI Lanparty NF590 SLI M2R/G - AMD64 4200+ X2 [email protected] aircooled w/Zalmann CNP9500- 2GB (2x1024) OCZ Platinum XTC PC6400 DDR2 OCZ2P8002GK - 2x eVGA 7900GS KO SLI - 40GB Maxtor -10GB IBM Deskstar - 500GB Seagate Barracuda- Antec Truepower Trio 500W - Dell 2005FPW - Unbuntu 7.10 w/ MythTV -Hauppauge WinTV PVR-500 MCE -Antec Lanboy

#4 uneedav8

uneedav8

DFI Stormtrooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2681 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 07:25 PM

If the lowest IQ guy in the world can do it.......why are you asking us?

ASUS ROG X79 EXTREME                                                                      EVGA Z97 FTW
i7 3820 @ 4.6                                                                                             i7 4790K
16GB Mushkin Redline 2133mhz                                                          32GB GSKILL 2400mhz
EVGA 680 GTX 4GB FTW+ 4 WAY SLI                                                   PNY Quadro NVS
Patriot Wildfire SSD RAID 0 + 3x 1TB WB BLACK RAID 0                 Samsung EVO Pro 850 RAID 0                  

1600W EVGA PSU                                                                                    PC Power & Cooling 850 PSU
Bigfoot Killer 2100 NIC                                                                            Intel Pro 1000 Server NIC

#5 Guest_oRiOn_*

Guest_oRiOn_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2007 - 09:18 PM

I tried my ext. hdd and it didn't work, I might try it again since I just re-formatted it. You CAN put a new 2.5 Sata drive in it, when you insert it, it will prompt for format.

I tried running my PS3 HDD to transfer all of my music and movies from my media center hdd to the ps3 hdd but the format is unknown to windows, ubuntu, and my ultimate boot cd. Hoping someone figures it out.

My only question is, if I install Linux can I play games, it doesn't seem like I will be able to.

-Will

#6 Guest_oRiOn_*

Guest_oRiOn_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2007 - 08:35 AM

I formatted my Ext. HDD and I plugged it in. When you go to photos/movies/music it will show a USB ext. device just click on it (if you have your files not in folders) if your files are in folders hit triangle on it and select display all and you can browse + copy everything to your HDD. Good Luck!

-Will

#7 zkissane

zkissane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 10:42 AM

Though I have very strong opinions on the subject, I will make no comment on Bush's success or failure as a president. However, there is no public record of an IQ score for him:

http://www.csbsju.ed.../bush011401.htm
http://www.snopes.co...axes/presiq.htm

The closest that exists is his SAT score, a 1206, which put him in the top 16% of college bound students at the time.

#8 Onixman

Onixman

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 02:39 PM

Thanks for the guy that answered me. About Bush's commentary, it was supposed to be a joke, but you guys took it really seriously. And about that IQ test, I have read it somewhere that I can't remember. Since I dont read anything that can't be trusted (and thats why I asked this HD question in here and not on Gamespot forumz), I suppose it should not be a total joke. My fault to start political discussions in here. I am sorry, really am. We should all have opinions and share them in order to make our entire community evolve, but I believe my joke harmed more then made fun.

Back to the question, so I can hook up an external HD and share with PS3. Thats good, since I can have access in my job to some good external HDs and borrow them. Can I also record directly on them!? I mean, let's say I want to RIP a blu-ray film on an external HD to carry it anywhere.

THanks and sorry once again.

#9 UncleDavid218

UncleDavid218

Total Nerd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3866 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 03:02 PM

No problem, I was just reminding you because, as we all know, politics are not a good topic of discussion when trying to have a civilized converation

#10 Onixman

Onixman

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 04:40 PM

No problem, I was just reminding you because, as we all know, politics are not a good topic of discussion when trying to have a civilized converation

You have forgotten religions and football teams also.