PS3 hard drive: can I do this?

Onixman

We all know that the PS3 has a notebook/laptop HD that is so easy to upgrade that even George W. Bush could do it (lowest IQ of all US presidents in history for those who don't read too much, but lets keep the focus).

In fact I believe 60Gb aren't enough for me and upgrading is almost crucial. The fact is: notebook hard drives are not only small (hard to find the expensive 160gb models) but you can't have more then 100Gb in 7200RPMs.

Since the PS3 has several USB ports I was wondering, PS3 already owners: can't we hook up an external USB HD with, lets say, 500GB? Its not only bigger but also faster.

Has anyone tried that? Let us know. And thanks in advance

I tried my ext. hdd and it didn't work, I might try it again since I just re-formatted it. You CAN put a new 2.5 Sata drive in it, when you insert it, it will prompt for format.

I tried running my PS3 HDD to transfer all of my music and movies from my media center hdd to the ps3 hdd but the format is unknown to windows, ubuntu, and my ultimate boot cd. Hoping someone figures it out.

My only question is, if I install Linux can I play games, it doesn't seem like I will be able to.

-Will

I formatted my Ext. HDD and I plugged it in. When you go to photos/movies/music it will show a USB ext. device just click on it (if you have your files not in folders) if your files are in folders hit triangle on it and select display all and you can browse + copy everything to your HDD. Good Luck!

-Will

Though I have very strong opinions on the subject, I will make no comment on Bush's success or failure as a president. However, there is no public record of an IQ score for him:

http://www.csbsju.edu/uspp/Election/bush011401.htm

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/presiq.htm

The closest that exists is his SAT score, a 1206, which put him in the top 16% of college bound students at the time.

Thanks for the guy that answered me. About Bush's commentary, it was supposed to be a joke, but you guys took it really seriously. And about that IQ test, I have read it somewhere that I can't remember. Since I dont read anything that can't be trusted (and thats why I asked this HD question in here and not on Gamespot forumz), I suppose it should not be a total joke. My fault to start political discussions in here. I am sorry, really am. We should all have opinions and share them in order to make our entire community evolve, but I believe my joke harmed more then made fun.

Back to the question, so I can hook up an external HD and share with PS3. Thats good, since I can have access in my job to some good external HDs and borrow them. Can I also record directly on them!? I mean, let's say I want to RIP a blu-ray film on an external HD to carry it anywhere.

THanks and sorry once again.

No problem, I was just reminding you because, as we all know, politics are not a good topic of discussion when trying to have a civilized converation

You have forgotten religions and football teams also.