Sign in to follow this  
Splave

SATA DVD Drive

Anyone have one? Benefits? Quieter? :P thanks

I like not having an IDE cable anymore. Other than that I haven't really burned any cd's or dvd's yet but I like it.

I have a Plextor PX-712SA, and it works just super for me. I have had it two years, no problems. it burns decently, plays all my DVD's (for some reason, my DVD player in my living room is very picky) and doesn't scream like my old 52x CD-ROM.

I think there is an updated version out now, perhaps the PX-715SA....I forget the exact model number, but it shouldn't be hard to find on newegg or the like.

Being IDE free is nice...the floppy I have is a SuperDisk, so it is IDE, but rarely connected.

The real benefit is for people that have multiple devices attached to the same IDE channel. If perhaps you were installing a big game, and you have your dvd-rom drive and your hard drive attached to the same ide cable (sharing the same ide channel) then that total speed of the ide interface is being shared between two devices, severely limiting your transfer rates.

IDE is old technology, and newer chipsets have fewer ide connectors, and will eventually have none. You'll be forced to either ditch your ide devices, or get an ide controller card, which isn't an elegant solution.

I have a Lite-On Sata DVD reader and I love it....It IS faster than my Sony IDE reader but not by much....

In my Opty rig I see 15,000kb/s encoding times with a single hard drive...not bad at all for me..I dont have a Sata burner yet but plans are to pick up a couple...;)

Less clutter and better air flow.

Samsung's SH-S183L Sata w/LightScribe on my Ultra-D's and SLI-DR Expert. Newegg for ~$40US in OEM, BestBuy for ~$88US in Retail.

Guest erico

Cool.. I didn't know they made them..all four of my HDDs are SATA..

I will have to look into it.

Anyone have one? Benefits? Quieter? :P thanks

i now have 5 of the SATA Lite-On dvd-rw's from Newegg that are about $33

awesome.

not a single problem on any board yet (NF3 250, NF4, NF590, NF4 Ultra-II AM2, 975X/G, RD600, etc)

Guest erico

So.. dumb question (or maybe not) I am using all of my SATA ports(one array and two not raided for HDDs)

.. I do have a promise SATA 150 pci card laying around unused which would give me two more ports..

Is that how I should connect the thing should I choose to buy one?

honestly I feel that the SATA dvd-rw's should be on the "native" SATA controllers (ie the Intel SATA, the Nvidia SATA, the ATI SATA, not the Promise/Silicon Image etc)

most integrated native controllers are made to handle a variety of hardware that is in the SATA class.

most RAID cards and PCI cards and aftermarket (integrated or pci/pci-x/pci-e) cards are only made for hdd's and RAID

if you've filled up your 4 SATA ports, you can either move one of the data hdd's off to the PCI controller card, or you can try to plug in the SATA dvd-rw to the controller card and see if it actually works.

I've honestly no idea since this is the first SATA optical drive that actually works properly and I've not had reason to purchase a PCI/PCI-E/PCI-X SATA card.

but hey, for $35-ish, if it doesn't work, you can put it in another rig, sell it, give it to a friend or family member for xmas etc ;)

Guest erico

H_G

I just took a look at my setup.. forgot just how much space SLI takes up...the free PCI slot is pretty much covered up.

Am not quite willing to give up that second GFX card so... no SATA DVD Burner just yet... (still might buy one to play around with it):)

For now...Oh well

Anyone having any issues installing Windows, etc. from a SATA DVD drive? Any software incompatibilities (Nero, etc.)?

I went looking for the NEC 3550A on Newegg, and it's been out of stock for a few weeks and when I checked today it's not listed at all. Thinking my upcoming Core 2 Duo (where are you DFI 680i? :)) build may be a good point to make the switch, assuming there aren't any dealbreakers.

Sign in to follow this