Sign in to follow this  
rxnman

Getting Annoying

Whats wrong and how can I fix my motherboard? My computer works just fine when it is on. After I turn it off, I have to do at least an 8 hour bios reset evertime I try to turn it back on. I have had this system for over a year and a half with no problems, until just lately. Here is what happens:

1. Works fine

2. Shut if off

3. Next day try hitting power to turn on and a single led starts flashing and computer wont come on.

4. Used to be able to do a 5-15 minute bios reset and then could turn on, now have to do 8 hours or let sit all night.

So now whenever I get done using my computer at the end of the day I just turn it off and do the bios reset so by the next day it will be ready to go. Its getting kind of old and I would like to know whats wrong and how I can fix it.

So clearing BIOS does help as I can understand.

I was myself surprised to find that the battery in my system gave up after less than a year. I didn't expect that to be the problem when I had to more or less everyday clear CMOS before it would post (four leds; so this differs from your description).

Nevertheless have you tried to change battery? It could be worth a try.

I can give it a shot. Did this fix your problem?

Of all the computers I have built over the years (many of my own and several for others) this mobo has BY FAR givin me the most problems of any. I have read through the forums and seen how many people have the same problems or at least very similar ones. I think there is something wrong with these boards in general, and it seems that when you have to use "certain" memory brands and "certain" mobo memory slots and "certain" power supplies just to get them to work half the time.... something was not clearly worked out in the design of the board.

This is a support forum of course your going to see only the people who have come here with a problem for help.

what you don'r see are the thousands upon thousands that don't have problems. These boards are made with superior all japanese capasitors with very tight tolerances. So they need high quality power supplies and Ram. They are for enthusiats. They are not made for the masses where you can throw just about anything in it and it has been made with huge tollerances so it will accept just about any cheap butt componants. If you want to run value Ram and a 39.00 power supply then buy a Dell. The board is not the problem the problem is maybe it is just above your skill level or ability to read. listen and learn.People that buy a Ferrari don't expect to run unleadded regular and Walmart motor oil and have it serviced at pepboys. Oh and I also had to replace my battery

Im giving my opinion, and if you check my sig you will know that I have quality, "recomended components" used with this mobo. So if it is all the recommended parts whats wrong?

Your ranting and raving about something not clearly worked out in the design of these boards. And yet all you had to do is change the battery.

Ok guys , "thefabe" and "rxnman", let us keep it civil please.

1. The NF4 SLi-DR boards have been in retail for almost 2 years.

2. That the DFI board is often beyond the average user and what they expect to see with ease of setup is almost a given if only reading help forums.

3. When I first began to fool with computers and was more interested in performance than I should have been...a couple of 'old hands' gave me the best advice that I have ever been given and that advice is still what I live by today...the advice was to look at the runners, the movers and shakers with X board and copy their configuration...the logic was that doing so would remove most of the variables and was the only way I could reasonably expect to have similar performance. What I found was that by copying the runners and fast boys was that I almost always had zero issues either...the configurations were sorted. Saved me a ton of headaches and more so today with the mass of products available from all calibre of manufacturer.

4. When just computering...I set a board up chosen as in #3 above and give it about 3 days to sort itself out with an assist from me...after that it is fair game to be rma'd for another of same to determine if it is a board issue or rma'd for some other brand and deal with that brands quirks...and in general from chipset to same chipset across the various brands, all of the boards exhibit many of the same quirks and issues...it just falls on the DFI super enthusiast style or type board that is actually able to be pushed hard if configured well...to have the more problems from parts compatibility and user adjusted tweaking to run both fast and stable.

5. Based on #4 above, I almost always ask a person asking me about what I recommend, what they intend to do with their configuration...and if the words out of their mouth are I want to do X and cheaply...that automatically tells me that they need vanilla setup...just the facts of life in general...vanilla boards abound but there is no way that I would put the LanParty or LanParty UT boards in the vanilla category.

So based on what I have seen in very close to two years of the NF4 DFI boards...they are likely as well sussed out as any of the NF4 boards...what you guys don't know is the rma rates of all brands and you will never ever get it from me either, but the DFI NF4 fares no worse than any other brand of NF4 board...good luck...have some fun...if it is too tough...get another brand and learn it. Happy New Year to all.

RGone...:confused:

rxnman, have you flashed your BIOS? If so, you may want to do a proper CMOS clear, link is under my sig.

If not, you may still want to try the longer clear.

Like RGone explained, these boards are enthusiast boards and they are designed to be pushed and clocked further than most others.

Perhaps you are having trouble because of a certain procedure was skipped, missed or over-looked.

DFI boards are not "flawed" it is usually the end-user just not quite understanding or skipping instructions during initial build.

Hello,

How long have you had the power supply?

Crucial ballistix have been known to fail, how long have you had these?

Do you have some other memory to try?

What about using 1 stick in the top orange slot.

New battery didnt work, complete bios clear for 2 days while out of town didnt work, complete disassemble and reassemble meticulously following the direction of this forum again didnt work. New memory dindt work, this PSU is maybe a month old, I bet the Neo Power 480 I replaced isnt really bad... Its prolly just broke.