R600 BENCHED! Just as expected.

Thraxz

Is there any way some type of overclocking tool (rivatuner, ati tool, coolbits) could tap into the other two generators to set them to the advertised speed?

No. With the current drivers the other two generators are basically non-programmable

PS: Gimme your Venus!

I'm gonna ignore that. lol

Not an unfair assessment by Praz in any aspect.

I didn't want the appearance of ATI bashing because I have an 8800. If there really is enough of a performance increase I will probably be one of the first to buy a R600 card.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you 8800 owners are in the same boat as us XT1950 XTX owners with the driver bull crap........Lame is a polite way too put it.

Hardware wise this thing is awesome but 3 official release in drivers and they are just starting too come around......Just!!!

I think that the driver issue should change seeing how AMD is partnered up with ATI and I see great things coming in that respect because well lets face it alot of people wont buy their cards because of that reason and I don't think AMD will go for that in the long run!

Personally I have had second thoughts on this card only and I mean only for that reason.

I used to always say that ATI drivers were great as I had only used ATI cards for the past 7 years or so, and I still do say that...

But after using my 7900GS for a while, I'm noticing that Nvidia does have a better one. It loads the control panel way faster, doesn't require .net, gives me the temp of the card in the panel, well I guess those are the only real differences. So I guess it's not that much better, but it is a bit better.

So I'm never sure what people are talking about with "Driver Issues", cause other than some minor annoyances I've yet to notice a big difference to the ATI drivers.

Interesting information... and just in time before I bought any "crappy" video card... hehe.

Shame the 680i doesn't support XFire :(

PS: I wrote "crappy" refering to someone I know who is a proud owner of an 8800GTX card... funny cause this person's 8800GTX can't say its proud to be owned by such filthy piece of...

It has nothing to do with anyone else, sorry for the inconvenience.

If you took the time, and PAIN (damn, its slow!!!), of browsing the entire article you could see the 8800GTX scored really well in BF2 and COD2 (I think), beating the R600.

The performance advantage of the R600 is logical, this is how the battle between video card manufacturers is when each one release a new GPU 3 months after the other: if they are equally matched, which they are right now, the newer will ALWAYS have a performance advantage... as plain and simple as that.

In 3 months nVidia will release a new GPU which will be faster than the R600... and exactly by the same advantage the R600 has over the 8800GTX.

Guest SuppA-SnipA

exactly, they will release a newer version, probably a rev 2 of the 8800 gtx, non OC'd but with higher clocks, or maybe something craziers like a 8900 gtx

im just not an ati guy, to many bad experiences

Was I the only one that found that article extremely comedic?

Every time the R600 got behind, they blamed it on the drivers not being optimised or something to that effect.

I like both companies offerings, but this review is clearly too biased for my tastes. (not to mention their sketchy Web server)

LOL... indeed that was funny.

But I remember the same deal of comedy, hype and ubber "aparent lies" from the early 8800GTX reviews, when they tried an earlier model with beta drivers. I also remember that same site giving the first 8800GTX information and testing... so, all I can say is how probable things are and also "the circle is now complete" :)

ATI had huge problems with the x1900 cards... but the x8x0 and previous models were perfect in comparison to the nVidia ones, just looking at my 9800XT and remembering my old 9700Pro reminds me of HOW BAD NVIDIA CARDS WERE JUST A LITTLE MORE THAN 2.5 YEARS AGO. Video cards, like life itself, are just moving from one side to the other making circles... back then nvidia got the bad side of luck, then ati go its share too, I doubt things for ati will remain the same as they didn't for nvidia back then.

IMO both ATI and nVidia are great GPU's... with Pro's and Con's both