R600 BENCHED! Just as expected.

Thraxz

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't like the idea of trying anything other than DFI for gaming or overclocking... but I know Abit and its a good brand more or less, their support forum exists!, something Asus can't claim... might be a step back, but indeed would be a step back in the "right" direction.

DFI might have been the trend setters as far as 939 Mobo went but they are way behind the rest of manufactures right now, and whilst this forum is the best about, it don’t really make a good argument for holding out for the DFI Mobo which most likely be out of date already if it ever gets released, the argument for DFI Mobo being the best Oc’ing you can buy are long gone now, the competition is far better than it have ever been and right now DFI are no where to be seen on the Intel side of things, which is a shame! or not!

Yeah, the irony on that is this: you need Intel chipset for AMD to work :rolleyes:

There is a new chipset from nVidia for Intel, the 680i or something, and it is a great chip as far as I know... minus some sata problems hehe. Problem about it is how it only supports SLI.

To run two of these "future" "AMD" cards you will need the Intel chipset... because the 975X supports Crossfire. All would be bad because the 975X is now old if it wasn't for ABIT and their new motherboard: it performs a lot faster than the ASUS (grr, I hate Asus hehe) and probably overclocks as good as the new nVidia 680... so perhaps if someone like this crazy person I know wants to run Crossfire with these R600 GPU's, then the motherboard to use would be the ABIT... :tooth:

I really don't like the idea of trying anything other than DFI for gaming or overclocking... but I know Abit and its a good brand more or less, their support forum exists!, something Asus can't claim... might be a step back, but indeed would be a step back in the "right" direction.

You dont need the intel chipset, AMD/ATI is still and will continue to make ATI chipsets (under whatever name they decide to call it now). But ATI had a contract with intel to allow the intel chipset to nativley support crossfire.

You sound as if you didn't try other brands while you had your DFI... I did, and believe me there was a huge diference, from RAM not being as fast (Latencies) to not being compatible at all... to some overclocking settings for cpu, chipset and SLI.

I see you have a good motherboard from reading your signature, Gigabyte... I like that brand, its one of those which deliver more than what you pay for and has never let me down. I am not sure its as good overclocker as other brands, probably it is not but it will never fail compared to much weak brands like MSI and maybe Asus and your cpu is at a nice 3.6 ghz. But I want the best overclock I can get, thats the diference between having to upgrade next month and needing to upgrade 6 months later... and maybe the Abit 975X mobo is the answer; I also want Crossfire... :D

Like I said in my previous post its all about getting the right motherboard for the job... something I am sure the ASUS is NOT! I had my fair deal of problems with a couple and only if you don't push it with clocks and hardware attached to it the thing will do a good job. This is why I say a DFI motherboard with those features would be better... shame it doesn't exist.

You dont need the intel chipset, AMD/ATI is still and will continue to make ATI chipsets (under whatever name they decide to call it now). But ATI had a contract with intel to allow the intel chipset to nativley support crossfire.

But the 975X chipset seems to be better in every aspect than the ATI one... :confused:

Come again? I've yet to hear that news. Also... there are pictures of the core itself on a AN INCREDIBLY SLOW server.

http://vga.zol.com.cn/46/468342.html

It popped up in the INQ today. I saw it one other place that I know of.

I actually heard that it was going to happen the Friday before Xmas. I called one of my old

buds from the lab up in Markham to wish him/his a merry Xmas, we got to shootin the breeze

and it came out in the convo that it was about a 90%'er due to poor yields.

Viper

Where are you getting that?

Happy's post?

Actually I read the ATI chipset has a limit for cpu compatibility, while the latest Intel chipset doesn't... can you correct me if I am wrong?

I am looking for the best motherboard for a two possible ATI cards... I like the Abit AW9D, but thats mainly because everybody is choosing the Asus and also because the Abit is newer and showed a lot of improvement. The CPU I am going to use is either the E6600 or the X6800 (maybe not).

I have seen multiple places where the people at level505 have admitted to having strong affiliations with AMD/ATI. I have always preferred Nvidia but I wouldnt hesitate to buy an ATI if the r600 is as good as people are hyping it to be. Nevertheless I would take that review with a grain of salt.

• 3 weeks later...
You sound as if you didn't try other brands while you had your DFI... I did, and believe me there was a huge diference, from RAM not being as fast (Latencies) to not being compatible at all... to some overclocking settings for cpu, chipset and SLI.

I see you have a good motherboard from reading your signature, Gigabyte... I like that brand, its one of those which deliver more than what you pay for and has never let me down. I am not sure its as good overclocker as other brands, probably it is not but it will never fail compared to much weak brands like MSI and maybe Asus and your cpu is at a nice 3.6 ghz. But I want the best overclock I can get, thats the diference between having to upgrade next month and needing to upgrade 6 months later... and maybe the Abit 975X mobo is the answer; I also want Crossfire... :D

Like I said in my previous post its all about getting the right motherboard for the job... something I am sure the ASUS is NOT! I had my fair deal of problems with a couple and only if you don't push it with clocks and hardware attached to it the thing will do a good job. This is why I say a DFI motherboard with those features would be better... shame it doesn't exist.

Dont judge this MoBo by my OC'ing skills, I'm in the 75% of people who are not like you in wanting to OC the nuts of My system + I don't have the fine tuning skills required:sad: , I went straight to 3.6, 400 X 9 and have not push my luck as it seemed a bit to easy and to good to be true, but the point I was making is that other manufactures are making MoBo that now have all the options that we were accustomed too with DFI, times have changed and even ASUS make good OC'ing boards from what I have been reading and seeing @ http://www.futuremark.com/community/halloffame/3dmark06/ who holds the No 1 spot in 3D mark 06 with a score of 23694 on a ASUS MoBo:rolleyes:

Yes and no... I don't read into who has the highest bench score done with LN2 cooling on 8800gtx's and a QX6700 as an indicator as to a board's performance. As a matter of fact, I find the P5B to be even LESS to my taste now than I did before I bought my DFI. The strap characteristics for the chipset blow hard. Example? Once you go past 400FSB you lose so much performance from the strap change that you fail to gain it back until 460FSB. Brutal...

Meanwhile my 975X chipset DFI runs the same strap through 440 (max bootable for me... perhaps more if my cooling could handle the conroe inferno) . If I was a phase cooling junky, yeah, that 500 FSB might impress me because I could actually be able to cool my chip at processor speeds that high and be able to recover the performance hit at 400FSB... but I'm not... you aren't... and to my knowledge, less than 10 phase-changers frequent this forum. Maybe if you're an uber cheapskate and got a E6300 you might want a P5B and get some use out of it too... there are not many of those. Not when the 2mb of cache on the the true conroes equates to 200-300MHz performance... no, I'm not kidding about that.

HOWEVER, DFI is no longer in a dominant spot in the market. The X/G's lack of BLAM in your face pwning n00bz0rs 345708923752309FSb OCs really has it relegated to the background because people don't know WTF they are doing... but think they do because someone (who actually does have talent and know-how) pulled a stupidly high OC with phase or worse LN2 and they bought it and must be amazing too. Right? I see the attitude all the time. "DFI sucks, their Intel board's are a joke and DFI has crappy support." Nevermind my OC has handed their's butt to them on a platter... even on my "joke board". They I see a WAVE of know-nothing parrots masturbating the P5B, -every- -single- -application- when it's CLEAR that ANY 975x chipset board would suit them better SOLELY due to strap behavior, without even looking at the tighter memory clocking.

Some guy with good air cooling and an E6600 rev A?

"P5B llolzors!" (nevermind it'll hit 410ish FSB and get . performance on that strap)

E4300 with some water?

"P5b LOlz0rs !!11!" (same deal)

E6400 and D9GMH?

"P5B LOLZ!" (REALLY bad for the P5B... E64's hit SMACK DAB in the middle of that FSB range where the P965 sucks.)

Next to nothing within reason would work best with a 965 chipset save the E6300... or phase change cooling for any chip above. Now, I'm seeing the P965 chipset being recommended to P4 chip users... wtf is that? They need 300FSB...MAX, who needs uber high NB latency board if said board's strong suit is only up in the high 400FSb atmosphere? Ugh, gimme a break. I'm done.