R600 BENCHED! Just as expected.

Thraxz

Well, the R600 is finally been benched in it's true form...

And it soundly trounces the 8800GTX as promised. As shown, the card thrives more the heavier the graphics burden become.

Sorry nvidia guys... it's not hype anymore.

http://level505.com/2006/12/30/the-full-ati-r600-test/1/

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should be very nice. I'm waiting till the DDR4 version comes out before I get one though... And some price dropage... 1gb of graphics memory is :drool:

I'm going to read that again and hope it's true then start collecting my change cause I'm going to need it if I want to buy one...

Yeah, well the hardware side sounds impressive but until more reviews are done I wouldn't put to much stock in this one review.

If Level505's comments seem a little too pro-ATI, don't be too surprised. When asked if the site was affiliated in any way to ATI or AMD, the owner replied to DailyTech with the statement that "two staff members of ours are directly affiliated with AMD's business [development] division."

It's also interesting to note that all benches were done at 4x/16x. Why not 16x/16x. After all these all the top cards. Why not max settings?

Yeah, well the hardware side sounds impressive but until more reviews are done I wouldn't put to much stock in this one review.

It's also interesting to note that all benches were done at 4x/16x. Why not 16x/16x. After all these all the top cards. Why not max settings?

That's good question Praz.

Too true. That's why I never make a judgment on anything till it's actually been released and both reviewers and the consumer can make something out of it.

Guest RohypnoL

They sure do like to refer to the unoptimized drivers as being the root of a lot of problems in the benches. From less FPS to lower image quality.. what's next? It steals their girlfriend and burns their house down?!

I'm not trying to be critical of ATI/AMD. At this point in time I trust very little of what is claimed by any hardware manufacturer and consider anything written by most review sites as nothing more then an interesting read. Anymore, it seems nothing is as it appears.

A good example is the 8800GTX. The memory is configure as 3 banks of 256MB. Because of this there is a clock generator for each bank for a total of 3 memory clock generators. At bootup, the bios sets all three generators to 400MHZ. When windows loads it's the driver's responsibility to increase the speeds to the card's advertised clocks.

What actually happens though, with the current drivers, is only one generator is increased in speed. The other two stay at 400MHZ. This normally goes unnoticed since the only generator displayed by overclocking programs is the one that has been reprogrammed when the drivers were loaded.

Why is this purposely being done? Can the card not operated correctly with all three generators running at their advertised speeds or will the other two be enabled in a future driver release for increased performance when required because of competition?

Either way we are not getting what we are paying for per the claimed specifications. The sad thing is this seems like the normal course of business for most companies now.

Guest RohypnoL

Wow Praz, I had no idea about that. Thanks for the info.

Is there any way some type of overclocking tool (rivatuner, ati tool, coolbits) could tap into the other two generators to set them to the advertised speed?

PS: Gimme your Venus!