Sign in to follow this  
morphinapg

Problem Flashing BIOS

Ok ""morphinapg"", it appears that you miss most of the points that the users are trying to help you with...remember they do not have a problem but you have the problem and most of it seems created by your ownself.

1. If you running applications that you CANNOT replace; then why in the world would you risk a 2 year project for the sake of an upgrade...pretty outlandish idea in my mind?

2. ""motherboard, processor and ram"" << so MAIN functioning parts inside a computer case and you do NOT think it is building or assembling or configuring a new computer? Humh!

3. Vista is a bloated pretty face and very little more to date...M$ pulled almost every new feature from it since it started life as longhorn and is nothing really but some bling and drivers now on a DVD so the less computer litterate may have a better chance of making an installation...so put it aside until service pack 1 for Vista comes out...you will save a lot of grief for months. More than likely.

4. No body can tell you whether to try and boot your bios flash failure...not anyway anyone can know...If Winflash 1.76 said it had an error checking the bios flash then likely the bios flash is incorrect or have you already shutdown and REstarted the computer? Not clear what you have done with all your protesting about what you cannot do because of X conditions in your situation and life which neither the mobo or operating system care two fahts about.

5. You need to come to grips with the fact you got yourself into a mess that should have been left as was until you finished your two year project OR had the installs for the applications...because at anytime during a swap of motherboard/processor and ram...there can be a serious issue and all of the thing go in the toilet.

6. Power supplies that may have shone brightly in some other configuration...may be a dog running a DFI board...once again another point you did not look into before putting your beloved two year project in jeapordy by deciding to change processor/mobo and ram which is a new computer in fact.

So you are going to have to stop...pay attention to some sort of data security and then figure out the best way to proceed...it may be that putting the old windows XP drive back in the old windows XP rig and running that drive from that old computer until you finish your 2 year project might be the most sensible route to pursue...cannot really say since you guys have been all over the city and run into dead ends of not having reinstallation files for some applications.

Don't know why you download winflash 1.76 to winflash your bios anyway since the site for official bios download surely says that you are to use winflash 1.84 to do the bios flash now. http://www.dfi.com.tw/Support/Download/bio..._FLAG=A&SITE=US That is the link to download official DFI bioses and has linked instructions for using winflash and also for the winflasher 1.84.

How to flash BIOS

Update BIOS by using Winflash

Home > Download > LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please download the following BIOS according to your motherboard version where applicable.

How to find your motherboard version?

If users do not have floppy drive in their computer system, there is an alternative option we provide here. The “Winflash” program allows users to update BIOS on the platform of Windows operating systems. Users only need to download the Winflash program files and the needed BIOS update flash named xxxxxx.bin, save them in any storage device windows system have access with. Run Winflash Ver. 1.84 software and follow the instruction guide to update BIOS.

I again strongly urge you to listen before responding since most of the guys who tried to help are trying to help out of the goodness of the heart...not for pay...and they in most cases have been there and done that and have the T-shirts to prove it.

EDIT: ""I was told before that you should only flash your BIOS if you were having a problem, and I was, as well as Microsoft recommending it.""<< Every freeken company and that includes M$ says to flash to latest bios regardless of the issue and regardless of IF that is the most prudent course of action and certainly was a poor course of action in your situation...nothing in the later bios flash could have a chance to fix your original issue...more likely to complicate your issue because of different controller code in the later bios flash...END FIRST EDIT...

SECOND EDIT: I HAVE USED WINFLASH OVER 450 TIMES WITHOUT ANY ISSUE...read that again! Now when it comes to bios flashing there are old heads, new heads, some without any heads at all and every version of opinion that falls in between...There are folks with ZERO dos skills...there are those that have 90+ % of DOS skills still left over...and know the value of keeping a floppy drive handy as long as there is any bios flashing going on...MAINLY to recover even a bios flash done from a CD...period...it is not going to be any different in the foreseeable future. The MAIN reason to PROTEST against a bios flash using WINFLASH is the user doing the bios flash and not the program itself...IT IS TOO D*MN EASY to just fire up winflash from a shakey, unstable windows and just flash away blithely with no thought to the future and complications. TOO EASY to just flash for flashing sake when the first thing to come along says oh my gawd update your bios.

I go to bios and load optimized defaults...boot windows and then use winflash to flash the bios...over 450 times with no personal issue...but I know NOT to flash a flakey, unstable installation of windoors. After Winflash completes...I reboot and Load Optimized Defaults and then reboot and back into bios and reset bios/cmos to the setting required for my configuration. No problems...but winflash by and large makes it TOO D*MN EASY to just flash away with no thought to the future or of safety. END EDIT TWO...

RGone...:confused:

"First off you must Always do a fresh install. You can't expect this board to function properly off an installed OS for a different board"

I can't do a fresh install because I have a 2 year project I've been working on as well as a lot of programs I don't have the install media for anymore.

"Flashi9ng your bios shoulld oly be done with a stable system and only if the bios your flashing to has a specific fix or purpose you need a newer bios is not a cure all."

I was told before that you should only flash your BIOS if you were having a problem, and I was, as well as Microsoft recommending it.

I am not building a new computer here I am trying to upgrade the motherboard, processor and ram.

Now for the CMOS clearing, no one has yet answered my main question, should I restart to see if the BIOS I have is actually usable first? Or should I just shut down and clear the CMOS first? If the BIOS is not working properly, would I still be able to flash it through the floppy or not? Why doesn't DFI provide any warning about flashing the BIOS through Windows if it's so risky? They should have something along the lines of "Warning, use at your own risk, use floppy method if possible" or something like that.

I downloaded version 1.84 and for some reason, when I double click it, The CPU usage under task manager gets eaten up but the Window never appears. Also 1.76 was the version that was right next to the zip for the BIOS, so that's why I downloaded that version first. I really haven't changed barely any BIOS settings since I installed the motherboard so I wouldn't think optimized settings would have helped. No I didn't understand most of these things about upgrading to this motherboard, and right now I'm frankly upset I even chose to do it. I've upgraded motherboards before and never had this many issues before, most were fixed with a simple repair install. Also, even though you obviously dislike Windows Vista, it ran perfectly fine with no issues what so ever when I upgraded the motherboard, it was only the XP install that had a BSOD.

Also about the whole restart question, all I'm asking is if it would hurt the computer at all to try the bios as it is in this state. If I were to use the Save Old BIOS feature in WinFlash, would that help anyone here to know whether the bios is bootable or not?

I think right now I'm going to re-download WinFlash 1.84 and try it again. Could the problem I'm getting in WinFlash have something to do with my dual core processor? if so is there any like special dual-core version of WinFlash or something? Thanks.

@morphinapg

As you can see, we've really tried to help you here.

Just that undersized no name power supply is enough to cause you all sorts of heartache and pain.

You've broken just about every "good practice" involving a computer build.

I really think you should just revert to your old hardware and wait until you have done the proper research to build a new rig. Don't blame the hardware for your lack of knowledge and ability to read and follow instructions.

Stop before you do any more damage.

I think right now I'm going to re-download WinFlash 1.84 and try it again. Could the problem I'm getting in WinFlash have something to do with my dual core processor? if so is there any like special dual-core version of WinFlash or something? Thanks.

Your whole problem right now appears to be a failed flash more than likely because of a severely underpowered PSU. I'm not trying to badmouth you, but you should have looked into the requirements for DFI boards before actually switching to one. DFI is fine tuned for OC'ing and requires a lot of power for this (hence the 480W minimal requirement). You can try using Winflash again, but i doubt it's going to help.

Next steps for you to try are:

1) Get a new PSU, as recommended above...the OCZ 600W or the Corsair 620W.

2) while waiting for one to arrive I would shut off your computer and do a CMOS clear

3) install new PSU and hope your BIOS didn't get screwed from using WinFlash and then flash properly with a floppy or Tmods CD.

4) if BIOS got screwed then order a new BIOS chip from Tmod as mentioned above.

I think I'm gonna get the OCZ GameXStream 700W (only $20 more than the 600W) I wasn't ignoring your feedback about the PSU. I actually thought my PSU was a very good popular PSU not a no name, it was the highest rated PSU on newegg.com and it has worked well, I guess the DFI board requires a lot more than I expected. But actually I was a little concerned about PSU but this is what my manual read: "To ensure that adequate power is provided, we strongly recommend that you use a minimum 400 watt (or greater) power supply" so I figured I was okay, but I guess I was wrong. I'm pretty confused as to why WinFlash 1.84 won't even load the Window, but eats up my CPU Usage. Weird. I have read elsewhere that when Winflash gives you that error, it leaves a part of BIOS that will read a BIOS boot floppy from your floppy drive. I hope this is the case, if it is, then I can use the flash BIOS boot floppy I created to restore my system. Then I think I'll put my XP and Vista drives back in my old motherboard, and probably have to do a repair install once again but at least it will work properly while I wait for my new PSU.

Thanks.

I think I'm gonna get the OCZ GameXStream 700W (only $20 more than the 600W) I wasn't ignoring your feedback about the PSU. I actually thought my PSU was a very good popular PSU not a no name, it was the highest rated PSU on newegg.com and it has worked well, I guess the DFI board requires a lot more than I expected. But actually I was a little concerned about PSU but this is what my manual read: "To ensure that adequate power is provided, we strongly recommend that you use a minimum 400 watt (or greater) power supply" so I figured I was okay, but I guess I was wrong. I'm pretty confused as to why WinFlash 1.84 won't even load the Window, but eats up my CPU Usage. Weird. I have read elsewhere that when Winflash gives you that error, it leaves a part of BIOS that will read a BIOS boot floppy from your floppy drive. I hope this is the case, if it is, then I can use the flash BIOS boot floppy I created to restore my system. Then I think I'll put my XP and Vista drives back in my old motherboard, and probably have to do a repair install once again but at least it will work properly while I wait for my new PSU.

Thanks.

YOu have a lot of good advice from very experienced DFI users here.....

1. Restart your puter, your wasting time and holding back the inevitable, a good chance your bios flash has went wrong, so your bios is borked and your puter will NOT boot, get it out of the way.

2. A good choice going with the OCZ GXS 700W, if you get your pc going again it will thank you :).

3. YOu did hint at one thing though that might be your only salvation to get your existing setup going, and that is the Boot Block Recovery.....this is if your system doesnt boot, ie nothing happens and the floppy light comes on ie looking for a disc........

If that is your scenario then you can do one of 2 things, first and easiest is try the Diamond Flash method, just download the correct DF bios for your motherboard, create the floppy by running the .exe. Boot your pc with the floppy in it and hopefully you will have post.

If that doesnt work try it manually like this.

Step by Step:

1. Create a Bootable Floppy diskette by downloading DRDFlash running it with a blank floppy in the drive.

2. Download the DFI Bios for your Mobo.

2. Copy the Autoexec.BAT, the xxxxxxx.Bin and Awdflash.EXE utility to the Bootable Floppy

3. Right click the Autoexec.BAT and choose Edit or open it any Editor i.e Notepad. Add the following lines overwriting the existing text.

@echo off

cls

@ECHO OFF

A:AWDFLASH xxxxxxx.BIN /cks/sn/f/py/cc/cd/cp/wb/ld/qi/r

echo "The version of BIOS was inaccurate,"

echo "Please remove the floppy, download the right one and re-flash."

@ECHO OFF

Exchange the xxxxxxx.BIN with the name of the BIOS.BIN file you are using.

4. When it finishes and reboots, hit Del to get into Cmos and load Optimised Defaults. F10 to Save and Reboot.

Logan

While I wait for the new PSU, I know I'm postponing the inevitable but I AM able to run the main program to work on my project. We are planning a 10-hour session on the project next Sunday/Monday to bump it from around 85% or so to hopefully around 90% or higher. I think I will leave the computer running till then, I will probably have the new PSU by hen so I will reboot and try the floppy method, making sure I use the /r switch to make the bios flasher reboot the computer when it's done so I know when it's done.

I'm going to take a look at newegg's return policy to see if I would still be able to return the motherboard for a replacement. Would this be a better alternative than getting a new BIOS chip programmed with the latest BIOS or no?

I have never installed bios from a chip so this would be new to me, so if someone could provide me with a link to a good guide on this thanks. Would it be cheaper to return/replace or get a new BIOS chip? Thanks.

BTW the project we're working on has only been worked on in my spare time and there's not a whole lot of it now, as I'm going to college and have a full time job.

HOLY CRAP! I totally just fixed it! I was able to download WinFlash 1.84 and the latest BIOS to my flash drive and ran them off of it and it worked! Holy cow! I was pondering about the problem, thinking about the power supply, when it came to me that maybe the HDD was corrupting the program files or the files weren't being read properly because of inaquedate power. So I figured that the USB flash drive uses a lot less power and would be a lot more reliable. So I downloaded them to it and they flashed correctly. Now I'm gonna restart. I'm going to make sure I connect the floppy connector to the motherboard. I probably will just end up taking the HDD out and moving it back to my old motherboard, but this is sweet. I'm wondering whether or not I should move my HDD because I remember reading something about not being able to reactivate within 180 days or something, I don't remember. But maybe plug in in the floppy cable will give me enough power to run this for a few more days until I get my PSU (it has been running for about 36 hours pretty good, not perfect, but good enough) Well I'm off to reboot.Thanks for all your help!