Sign in to follow this  
jobambo

Wondering if this build will work?

Hello all, this is my first post here. I have learned that the DFI boards are extremely picky when it comes to parts, so i want to make sure it will all function before i buy this.

Here is my parts list, all from newegg.

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego 2.4GHz Socket 939 Processor Model ADA4000DAA5BN

Rosewill RP500-2 ATX 2.01 500W Power Supply

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model F1-3200PHU2-2GBNS

Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

eVGA 256-P2-N615-TX GeForce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

One more question, since the chip is a 64 does that mean i have to run windows xp 64 bit?

Thanks in advance.

You do not need to use a 64 bit operating system. See the link in my signature for suggested power supplies. The model you have chosen is not a quality psu and is definitely not recommended for a DFI system. All other parts look good.

Thanks for the quick reply and sorry for not posting in the correct forum.

I was very confused at the Power supply guide.

Is there a power supply for around 50 dollars, or one that comes bundled with a case that you would recommand?

Look in the ""A" List for SLI & Expert PSU's". The power supplies listed there will pretty much be the minimum for the Expert motherboard.

to answer your question on the PS and or PS/case issue,

NO.....

if you want to play with DFI, you will need to spend a few extra $$$ to make your experience a happy one.

baldy

Thanks for the quick reply and sorry for not posting in the correct forum.

I was very confused at the Power supply guide.

Is there a power supply for around 50 dollars, or one that comes bundled with a case that you would recommand?

OCZ gamexstream 600w version is $100 after rebate, probably the cheapest you will find, unless the psu guide has cheaper. You can't go cheap on the PSU

Also, save a few bucks and go with the dfi n4 ultra-d, a lot easier to work with than the expert version.

I'm guessing the cpu you picked out is the OEM version for sale on newegg... if it is OEM you will need to buy a cpu heatsink...

Also, if you can afford it, go with the opteron 165, its dual core and can be overclocked pretty easily to 2.5-2.7 Ghz

good luck!

The Enermax 535w will get you going for cheap. It's in the PS guide. Look there.

There's a difference between "eh" PSUs, and blatant DON'T BUY PSUs. Anything made by rosewill should be in the latter list.

I recommend the Sparkle 500 watt model, it's the FSP550, it is rated at 50c for 500, 30c 550. I have powered a very nice system with it(opteron 165 2.7-2.8 GHz, 8-9 hard drives all working at once, a gig of RAM). I have never seen it for more than $80.. I got it for $60 shipped used.

If you want to spend more(if you have any intention of SLI, please do..), then go for the FSP600. Same as the GXS 600 just a bit quieter due to different fan controller. I have not tested the Sparkle with a graphics card

Lastly, I'd recommend a better hard drive. I have two of that model, they both annoy me. It runs hotter at idle than any of my other drives do at full load. If I touch the top, it's always vibrating, moreso than the other 200s, 250s, 320s, and 500s I have do at full load, and lastly, it actually makes subtle sizzling noises under load.. it's the posterboy for HD failure. Go seagate or hitachi.. 4 MBps extra doesn't mean much when your drive starts to click. :(

Thank you for telling me about the heatsink. I would of been very disappointed when it arrives without one.

As for the 64 bit. With tihs chip, am i allowed to run Windows 64 bit and still run 32 bit applications. Sorry im very new to this whole 64 bit thing.

Guest BFG

Windows xp 64 bit will run 32 bit applications through emulation. I would suggest just getting 32 bit windows for now unless you are getting vista.

Sign in to follow this