Possible upgrade to Opty 165 please help.

ibex333

If you wanted to upgrade, you would need to buy a new PSU and CPU.

If you choose to go C2D, you would need the replace all of these,

- CPU

- PSU

- Motherboard

- Memory

You should go for a 2x1GB kit, DDR2 is the way forward.

C2D ;)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No matter what direction you choose - 420w is not recommended.

High on the recommended list are the 600 or 700w OCZ GameXStream and the 520 or 600w Corsair HX series.

For memory, I would say you're wasting your money upgrading.

You can spend a ton upgrading a Socket 939 system but you're still not going to be performing like a low-end Core 2 setup.

I'd say get an E6300, DFI Infinity 975x, 2x1GB of name brand DDR800 memory, and a Corsair HX-620

No matter what direction you choose - 420w is not recommended.

High on the recommended list are the 600 or 700w OCZ GameXStream and the 520 or 600w Corsair HX series.

For memory, I would say you're wasting your money upgrading.

You can spend a ton upgrading a Socket 939 system but you're still not going to be performing like a low-end Core 2 setup.

I'd say get an E6300, DFI Infinity 975x, 2x1GB of name brand DDR800 memory, and a Corsair HX-620

That's good advice... I guess I'll have to wait untill I can afford a c2d system. I thought I could save money by upgrading my system, but infact, I'm only saving money on the mobo, and olny about $100 or less... The extremely pricy memory and the PSU completely negates any savings I was hoping for by not having to upgrade the mobo.

Thanx for giving me a better perspective on things guys.

By the way, whic is a "better" overall mobo - the ASUS P5B-E or a DFI INFINITY 975X ? I'm leaning toward the DFI because it is not picky when it comes to RAM, unlike the asus, and because... It's a DFI!! :)

They are both excellent motherboards. You can't go wrong with either one.

I believe our administrator uses the ASUS in his video editing machine.

(it may not be that exact model, but the point is -- it's every bit as good as the Infinity)

If it was me, of course, I'd go with the Infinity...

Seriously, unless your looking for the latest fastest system (C2D), I'd just upgrade that CPU. With new technology coming out quicker and quicker I honestly see no reason to go the route of C2D. You could get this RAM, and I've had no problems with this Power Supply. It's more stable than my OCZ, but it's not on the DFI recommended list so it's just luck of the draw. But $65 shipped sounds like a steal to me. So let's see - $65 for the PSU, $230 for the RAM, and $155 for the CPU = $450 shipped for a great setup!! You may pay double or more for a C2D upgrade, but you will have a better setup as well.

Just my 2 cents.

The P5B-E is what I should have bought. The P5W DH is kind of lame, all the cool settings like memory subtimings are in the other ASUS.

But I still think I should have got the DFI over both of them for overclocking, don't make my mistake.

You can save on the PSU by getting this :DPlease don't take me seriously.

If you get an opteron 165 for $160 and OC it to 2.7-2.8, you'll get more than twice the current performance of your CPU. Going C2D will get you.. maybe 2.5x the performance, but for 5x as much money. I'd just upgrade the socket 939.

Seriously, unless your looking for the latest fastest system (C2D), I'd just upgrade that CPU. With new technology coming out quicker and quicker I honestly see no reason to go the route of C2D. You could get this RAM, and I've had no problems with this Power Supply. It's more stable than my OCZ, but it's not on the DFI recommended list so it's just luck of the draw. But $65 shipped sounds like a steal to me. So let's see - $65 for the PSU, $230 for the RAM, and $155 for the CPU = $450 shipped for a great setup!! You may pay double or more for a C2D upgrade, but you will have a better setup as well.

Just my 2 cents.

Ahh... here we go again.

Just when I was about to admit that I'm a bum, and I have to wait till I get enough $$$ for a c2d, here you are! And to top that of, you are right!

After all, what I heared is that an OC'd Opty runs at about the same speed as a stock e6600. So spending $450 is a lot smarter than speanding $750 or more.... Arggghhh.. you are killing me people.. decisions, decisions...

Hell, I guess I'll get an Opty after all, and OC that thing to the max.

Thank you all for so many great advices. I really appreciate that.

Oh, and Happy New Year!!!

Just to let you know, I've currently got my RAM up to 275 mhz, I'm currently still Priming, but over 2 hours stable so far now. I just got it 4 days ago, so the odds are in your favor of getting a good set!! (and it's one of the cheapest DDR500 sets I've found) (cough "buy it" cough)

Happy New Year back atcha, and to everyone else as well!!!!

Guest anewb ie

If you re going to buy new ram then you might as well as go with a c2d2. The cost of upgrading to a c2d2 would only be $120-$130. (basically a new motherboard plus $20 for the cost different between an opt165 and e6300.

I switched from an san diego 3700 to an opt 165 a couple of weeks ago. My san diego was running at 2.6ghz and the opty 165 is at 2.7. Note that (a) I just picked convenient numbers and did not try to push either chip to max; (B) I used stock cooler and stock voltage.

Anyways that's my 1ct comment. If you are going to spend anything more than the cost of the chip you are better off going with c2d2.

On the psu I would recommend the enhance 5150gh fo $65 or strider st50ef for $75 (same psu). You do not need a 600 or 700 watt psu. However, if you expect to go with 8800 sli then you might want to consider a good 600-700 watt psu.

[btw i followed wevsspot and uinstalled the amd device driver; shut the sytem down; replace the chip and installed the new device driver - i did not reinstall windows - all seems to be fine].

1)What are my choices for RAM that would both be as cheap as possible, yet would let me OC my Opty to the max? (I want to get 2x 1gb sticks)

Cheap wont cut it if you want to OC, these boards were built with Overclocking in mind with quality components, 2GB kits of Ocz GOld Extreme or G.Skills HZ if you can find them.

2)What would be a nice relatively cheap Aftermarket HSF for me?

A64 Freezer

3)Do I have to upgrade my PSU if I dont plan to upgrade my video card yet?

Your PSU is underpowered end of story for your system, Pick one from the DFI User Recommended PSU List.

4)Would upgrading to an Opty be as simple as swapping CPUs, or is there more involved like reinstalling windows, formatting HD, resetting BIOS?

Yes swap it out and do the AMD driver and optimizer install, make sure your bios is 06.23 or newer to support dual core. If it dont work you can always install winblows again ;)

Logan

If you buy CPU, memory and a PSU your a fool not getting a mobo too. CD2 is a real winner.:)

My same OS install has been on a DualSATA2 and this Ultra-D, going on four video cards, four different sets of RAM and two CPUs.