NEw GFX Card!!

K33B4

Apparently i happen to drop the screw driver that i was using to tighten the HSF on my current 7800GTX and broke off a transistor... now the card is artificating and acting wierd. SOo i'm looking for a good affordable gfx card that would play Source, Oblivion at high resolution without glitch. I wanna spend around 200-300 max. Recommendations?

Guest caffeinejunkie

I say grab a cheap x1950pro. Overclocked it's comparable to 7900s and it only costs 200$ mine even came with an accelero on it.

here we go again! the internet is your friend, do your home work and work it out for your self cos asking people on here just seems to start fanboy warfare, both ATI and Nvdia make the best cards on the planet, oh wait a mo they are the only ones that make them! the 7900 GTO would be my choice but then again the 1900XT is very nice too! toss a coin M8!

i wanst't trying to be a nvidia fanboy... just to let you know...the 1950pro is a nice card to... i was just going by some reviews i found that showed that the 7900gs ko when overclock has the best performance/price ratio out there...

and then there is me.... eagerly waiting for the R600 from ATI......:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

I had never seen the benchmarks of the 1950pro but those are very nice especially for that price. 7900GS doesn't even come close. It's especially interesting because the 1950pro they are using is a 256mb version and the 7900GS is a 512mb. Based on those benchies I'd definitely pick up the 1950pro. You can also get the 1950pro in a 512mb configuration for about an extra $100. That's the one I'd get.

You made a healthy choice. Note that you have to use the drivers on the CD supplied with your card. It seems that the drivers found on the web do not work properly with the card for some reason (for now anyways). This is probably because the card is fairly new and might run on a slightly different architecture than other ATI cards. I imagine ATI hasn't updated their drivers to support the 1950 fully yet but they should soon. Also if you are going to over clock your card make sure to use CCC instead of other apps because they will not recognize the card properly. When Kingfisher first bought his 1950pro these are the problems that he ran into. However this was about a month ago and the updated Catalyst drivers might support the 1950pro now. Cheers.