Sign in to follow this  
CustomBuild

Good Opteron 170 Stepping from newegg

Is everyone using water cooling to achieve these low temps? I've got a 170 CCBBE running at 2730 @ 1.375v and my temps are about 36-38 idle and 50-52 at load. I'm using a thermalright SI-120 for cooling. I'm pretty jealous of the low temps, and would like to eventually get to 2850-2900. I think the temps are going to hold me back though. I don't want to cut up the case too much, but...

CustomBuild: Very nice! I'm working on getting my x2 3800+ stable at 2.9ghz, but it doesn't look as if I will succeed :( . Wish I had a cpu like yours :) . Really nice memory as well.

Is everyone using water cooling to achieve these low temps? I've got a 170 CCBBE running at 2730 @ 1.375v and my temps are about 36-38 idle and 50-52 at load. I'm using a thermalright SI-120 for cooling. I'm pretty jealous of the low temps, and would like to eventually get to 2850-2900. I think the temps are going to hold me back though. I don't want to cut up the case too much, but...

Yes, pretty much evryone is using water to get good temps at higher OC speeds. I just made the switch for exactly that reason. That plus the conversion was a fun project for the holidays :)

Yes, pretty much evryone is using water to get good temps at higher OC speeds. I just made the switch for exactly that reason. That plus the conversion was a fun project for the holidays :)

I might have to take a look at it. I'm not sure if my chip can go much higher though, even with better cooling. I've gotten windows to boot as high as 2.9 @1.45v, but I couldn't get Super PI to finish, let alone 8 hrs of prime. I have a feeling that it would take a lot more voltage to get it stable. Core #2 is pretty weak. :P

I use the Zalman CNPS9500 and at my clocks right now I get 43c @ 65f also its the ideal air cooling heatsink because it not only is superb at cooling the CPU but it also blows air onto you RAM what more can you ask for?

But cooler is better of course so I will be going over to water cooling myself!

EDIT: The temps posted above are the cpu temps under full load!!!!

Then you want what I have or a XP90 with a vantec tornado fan on it.

Just remember to run you're cpu cooler off of a fan controller!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16835109122

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16835109118

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16835118019

Read up on the forum about the XP120 Heatsink cuz I think its a issue with the ram modual in the orange slot closest to the cpu but I am pretty sure that allot of people use it here and I cant remeber if people are haveing that issue with the Expert Board layout or the others.

My Opty 170 CCBBE 0610DPMW that I just got from newegg two days ago does 2910mhz at 1.475 and was prime stabe for the 8 hours that I tested it. I just cannot get it to go any higher. Even at 1.5v it still will not finish prime 95 at 3000mhz. The computer seems fine at that speed but Prime is not. Currently idle is 33-34C and load is 42-44C. I think I might just keep it at this speed. It appears to be the maximum reasonable overclock for this cpu.