Looking to make a new computer

85Dave

Well I can honestly say I have never made a computer from parts before but now I need a new one and the best way is to make one (what my computer geek bro says lol)

I got that new Flight Simulator X for Christmas and I'm running on min. graphics right now and waiting long times for loads.

I want a setup that will let me run all the settings for graphics at Max.

I have no idea what to get for a computer other than a case as I have never made one before.

heres what I'm looking for

Budget: $1,000

Uses: Gaming, Audio/video recording and editing

Needed inputs: 2.0 USB ports, (at least 4 ports)

Sound card: I'm running a standard card now but have it hooked up to some good studio monitors for my audio work.

I may get a 5.1 Logitech surround sound system from eBay if I can get a good deal but its not really needed.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WELCOME!

but the first thing to do is probably get a signature ;)

First off,

CPU: Core Duo. 6600. $300

Mobo: since ur on the budget, DFI Infinity 975 instead of the fancy nforce680 blingbling... $??

RAM: 2Gb DDR2-800, theyre about $200 nowadays, from OCZ too...

Video: X1900XT, or whichever model that cost u $300. im no expert on ATI cards ;)

PSU: OCZ GameXtreme 600 (if u got some leftover on the budget, go for 700) $100

HD: Seagate 7200.10 320Gb $100

DVD-RW: LiteOn 16x DL, $30

Case: Silverstone TJ04 $50

Sound: X-fi XtremeMusic $100 (or u can use ur old card. my Audigy gen.1 is working perfectly fine on my Logitech Z5300.brilliantly fine.)

oops i went way above budget lol

maybe an X1950 Pro for the card for $200, and CoreDuo 6400. or even some smaller HD, but u said u want video/audio editing :)

Pretty much ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I wouldn't mess with AM2 or older socket 939. Good stuff to be sure but nothing to build a new system around if you are starting from scratch. Just mt opinion of course. Even an E6400 thrown into the mix and allowing for a bit more on the GFX end would be the way to go. DDR2 800 as a minimum...

I'll also agree with the e6400. Wish I had gotten one over the e6300 both for OCing and stock speed reasons.

Audio cards arn't really needed unless you really notice audio quality differences. If you don't onboard works fine. If you do theres a X-Fi XtremeGamer that's only about $80 or you can always get a Audigy card for less.

Graphics wise a 7900GS is hard to beat. ~$150 and with just the "Coolbits" registry mod and clicking "Find optimal overclock" they run like crazy. Mine went to 620/805 from 500/690 (Which was factory OCed to start with). It'll go higher but will need some manual clock tweaking. Amazing performance for a good price and a minimal investment of risk / time to overclock it.

Hope some of that helps some :)

Welcome the the "Street"!

I know from experience that M$ FlightSim will test any system. So, if you go middle of the road, you will still not find your system responding well on high settings.

My advice, go with the absolute best system that you can afford. Even if it is somewhat beyond your budget.

I know from experience that M$ FlightSim will test any system. So, if you go middle of the road, you will still not find your system responding well on high settings.

My advice, go with the absolute best system that you can afford. Even if it is somewhat beyond your budget.

Even with a 7900GT it will not run smoothly with all the eyecandy enabled (maybe W/ C2D)

If you can afford it at all I'd get an 8800GTS ($450) or 8800GTX (~$600)

Linky's that total $1198.00...

Infinity...E6400...Geil Ultra DDR 800...eVga 8800GTX

There is the base of a killer little system with plenty of OC potential...I'm assuming you have hard drives/Cd-Rom etc...If you are a serious gamer I would step up to 8 series nVidia GFX cards. 7950GT Ko's are good providing you have a smaller monitor (17" LCD). That would save you a good chunk of change.

WELCOME!

but the first thing to do is probably get a signature ;)

yea normally ill put my web address in there but most places don't like the myspace link so i skipped it on sign up...just got it done though

yes thats something on my mind all the time. If im going to build a computer, i might as well get the best parts from the start and not just get those average parts that will work, but not work great

Linky's that total $1198.00...

Infinity...E6400...Geil Ultra DDR 800...eVga 8800GTX

There is the base of a killer little system with plenty of OC potential...I'm assuming you have hard drives/Cd-Rom etc...If you are a serious gamer I would step up to 8 series nVidia GFX cards. 7950GT Ko's are good providing you have a smaller monitor (17" LCD). That would save you a good chunk of change.

yea i have an extra hard drive to use that i can just take out of the dell im using now...

$1198.00 is over a little but not by much so i could go that route.

thanks for the input everyone. It looks like i have some great suggestions herer for the build but unfortunately i dont have enough money to start this build so ill have to save up some before i start