Opty 170 idle temp high?

stanggt00

Just started playing with my overclock and threw 240x10 at it. I havent followed the guide yet cause I just wanted to see the temps at this speed. I installed MBM5 with the NF4 file and MBM is showing 38C at idle with a 1.36Vcore. Is this about right for stock HS/F or should I think about throwing the XP-90 back on there with some AS5? I have seen people post 2.8 with the stock HS/F so I wanted to push the envelope there before trying the another HS/F combo. Any suggestions?

hmm..my opty 165 runs at 49C with OCCT, new OCCT uses both cores thats at 2.9GHz but thats on water.

I would suggest putting something else apart from the stock cooler on there for overclocking. For starters the TIM on the stock exchanger will be nothing at the side of properly applied AS5.

latest OCCT is 1.02a i think

Use the latest OCCT and also check and make sure in the device manager that both cores have a driver installed. Oddly, this has happened to me, one core was only working, and the other somehow didn't get installed, and was disabled by windows. My idle temps were extrmemly high, like it was constantly under load. Simply enabling it and installing the AMD driver fixed it.

Yes, both cores have a driver installed. I believe it may be the version of OCCT I am using and I will follow the intructions that phoetus posted the link to.

I am using an Aspire case with 2 80 mm intake at the front, 1 80mm intake on the side panel, 1 120mm exhaust out the back, 1 80mm exhaust fan out the top and the 120mm fan on the power supply. I believe I should have plety of airflow especially with this PS. My old Antec TP II was not powering the fans very well. Now they blow alot better.

Can/should I use my Thermalright XP-90 w/92mm fan instead of the stock? While OCCT was running the temps were right at 45C, but it wasnt going 100%. I will setup OCCT for the duals first and post back with the temps and see what replies I get about the XP-90. Thanks.

Just got done with dual core OCCT. 260x10 with 5/6 divider was stable and temps were 48C avg and peaked 50C a few times. End result was stable. I know this is just a small test and there is more testing to perform but its atleast a good baseline for now.

I am going to slap the XP-90 in there now and see what the temps hit, but since there are two cores, dont I need to apply it in 2 spots instead of just one small spot over the center?

.... but since there are two cores, dont I need to apply it in 2 spots instead of just one small spot over the center?

No. This is me using Ceramique'. One "grain of rice" sized dollup in the center, set the XP-90 down as level as can get, and secure using an X pattern.

(No slam here, ok? For you I'd suggest going thru all the motions and then lift it to double check that the IHS got covered in your application)

I'm using XP-90/Panaflos's on all mine. I'd suggest a higher CFM than the suggested Panaflo Low Speed. Medium at a minimum, High is about right for my purposes, and Ultra if some serious "on air" OC'ing.

I don't remember the amp draw on the Ultra's, so keep that in mind if you're using the 3pin header to power something that pushes that much CFM.

I just put the XP-90 on and my idle temp is now 35C. This Tornado fan only has 1 pin to he motherboard header and it has another 4 pin molex connector to actually power it up. Its freakin spinning so fast it is really loud, too loud. I need to put a controller on it to turn it down some. I am going to re run OCCT and see what the working temps are. I would like to see it around 45C max. Will post back.