Opteron 165 overclocking basics

tjmudder

I want to overclock my Opteron 165 to at least 2.6ghz. I need help on just the basics of what I need to change, why I need to change it, how to keep it stable, and so on in order to hit this. I have plenty of air flow through my system so that should not be a problem (5 case fans, and an Acrtic Cooling Freezer Pro).

It's on the top of your processor. I believe it's the middle line and it'll normally start out with CCBBE, CCBWE, or CCB1E, there might be one or two more but I believe those are the most prevalent. Then it is following by some numbers and letters. If you look at my sig beside "165" that is my stepping and knowing your stepping can give you some insight into how high can you overclock your cpu.

Well, I've already had too much trouble getting my system to run right so I'm not gonna start pulling the parts off again. Also, I'm not gonna try to get every last mhz out of it. But I do plan on testing it to see what good speeds I can get. I'm already getting over 2.4ghz. Thanks for refering me to that guide because its great!

u will need DDR 500 RAM as well if u have good stepping to get the absolute max.

My overclock has been stopped for the time being at 3GHz on my 165 until new ram arrives because the ram wont take any more, not sure the chip has that much left in it anyways :)

You should DL Core Temp so you can watch your temps, and share your TCaseMax. Some people believe that there is a connection between the TCaseMax and the overclockability of the chip. I have a very high TCaseMax (67C), and if you read my sig you'll see what it's able to do...:)

I wanna know what are some settings people are using for their overclocked Opteron 165. What is their FSB and their multipliers and especially their voltage? I'm really not sure what to use on my voltage to all of my parts. But, I am hitting 280FSB which is 2.61 ghz with a LTD/FSB X3 and the CPU/FSB X9 and a Voltage for my CPU at 1.50 (not sure if that is a good voltage or not). My memory is at 5/6 the FSB. I've been able to run BF2 and FEAR with no problems at this setting.