Sign in to follow this  
CharmedLover84

Black Ice Xtreme III Radiator - How the hell do you put fans on it?

How long would I need them?

Im planning on doing something like this guy, he called it a "roof rad" I think.

Any idea as to what i can use for spacers like he did? He showed me something made by Alphacool, but it was sold in Europe, and I dont feel like waiting a month for it to get here from over the pond. Anything at McMaster Carr that I could use? Im not asking you guys to serach for me, I just have no idea where to start looking for a lot of modding stuff.

Im in the same situation.. I got my CoolRad 32T and came with no screws.

I do not want to use self-tapping... I dont want to puncture another rad...

Guest Timmay

on my rad the screw holes only line up with fins, and if you grind down the ends of the screws, they wont touch the fins.

on my rad the screw holes only line up with fins, and if you grind down the ends of the screws, they wont touch the fins.

Same with all the rads I've used. The radiators that have come with screws I don't think I've ever used them.

I take the long butt approach, I use 6-32 all-thread and then slide a nut between the mounting tab and the rad, then screw the all-thread just flush with the backside of the nut. I just never could get used to the idea of the rad hanging from the top of the case with 1 thread of a screw holding it up there.

How long would I need them?

Im planning on doing something like this guy, he called it a "roof rad" I think.

Any idea as to what i can use for spacers like he did? He showed me something made by Alphacool, but it was sold in Europe, and I dont feel like waiting a month for it to get here from over the pond. Anything at McMaster Carr that I could use? Im not asking you guys to serach for me, I just have no idea where to start looking for a lot of modding stuff.

For attaching the fans/grills to the rad you need 30-35mm long screws (~1 1/4").

At one time we got some similar aluminum spacers from Lowe's in an assortment of various lengths/diameters. McMaster Carr should have some similar stuff as well. You could also cut pieces of Teflon/PVC tubing to do the job as well.

Alrighty... once I pay off all this Christmas debt on my CC, Im going to look into watercooling. Ill check Home Depot... closest Lowes is like 30 minutes away. To attach the fans, I need M3.5 thread, about 1.25 inches long I guess.... Can I get those at Home Depot too?

Alrighty... once I pay off all this Christmas debt on my CC, Im going to look into watercooling. Ill check Home Depot... closest Lowes is like 30 minutes away. To attack the fans, I need M3.5 thread, about 1.25 inches long I guess.... Can I get those at Home Depot too?

Home Depot should sell them as well; check the small parts area of the hardware section

I don't know if this is an issue or not, but I had two GTS360's. Hardware Labs said that they use #6 screws (US Standard) or M4 (Metric). My first rad worked fine with the #6 screws, but when I tried to mount the second #6 screws would not work. I had to go into my box of screws and find some M4's I had (but not enough). To mount the fans I got 3 sets of M4 x 30 screws with the second rad, and they were perfect for mounting the 120 x 25mm fans I was using (for 120 x 38mm fans you'll probably need 45mm long ones). However, I checked all my local hardware stores except the Home Depot (the only big chain Home Imp. store around) and could not find any M4 pan head screws, just hex-head bolts.

If you can't find long enough screws, you might be able to find threaded stock and do like CPDMF suggested.