Sign in to follow this  
OtisN89

Installing XP Media Center

I just got Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. I rebuild my raid array and write 0s to it. Install Windows, and everything goes okay, until it asks me to put the Windows Service Pack 2 Disk into the disk drive.

I didn't get that disk. All i have is Windows XP Disk 1 Disk 2, and a disk labled updates for Media Center 2005.

So I hit cancel and it finsihes installation, restarts and boots to windows. Now as I'm trying to install drivers InstallShield gives me this:

"1607: Unable to install InstallShield Scripting Runtime"

So I install all the drivers I can, and then try to get some from the internet only to realize that IExplorer has failed to install. So I put my old hard drive in (as drive E:), so now i can run IExplorer but cant' get on the net. I assume because something went wrong installing drivers.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions, I'm pretty confused as to why I need a disk that they didn't send me. Thanks for taking the time to read and I'd appreciate any input.

The message is a bit confusing and had me stumped for a few moments,

You need to put the media center disk into the drive at that prompt and then click continue.

I did and it all went in fine.

Yeah it is confusing. Media Centre Edition is essentially XP Pro with the Media addition. Its another one of those things that MS didnt tidy up before the product rolled.

:cool: I thought I had a problem with the discs so I took them back to my vendor. He had no problem installing them and started quizzing me on the rig. When we got to my DDR 500 he said that was the problem. He told me that for whatever reason, XP MCE doesn't like fast RAM during the install. He also told me that the install is suppose to go as follows: DISC 1, DISC 2, PLEASE REINSERT DISC 1! I got, PLEASE INSERT THE XP PRO SP2 DISC the same as you did. On the first install I assumed it was asking for the UPDATES DISC. After the install I had no IE and could not get online no matter what I did. I pulled 1 stick and declocked the RAM to DDR360. I reformatted and did a 2nd install with the same results. No IE and some pages displaying incorrectly. I did a DOD level disc wipe, reinstalled and when asked for the sp2 disc I put disc 1 back in and finished the install. This was about 4 hrs ago and I have been online several times with no problems so far. I have reclocked to DDR 500 and reinstalled the 2nd stick getting ready to run memtest for win.

Why would memory speed, as long as it's stable, have anything to do with Windows installing correctly or not?

I agree I think the vendor was assuming instablility as an issue

:cool: I thought I had a problem with the discs so I took them back to my vendor. He had no problem installing them and started quizzing me on the rig. When we got to my DDR 500 he said that was the problem. He told me that for whatever reason, XP MCE doesn't like fast RAM during the install.

sounds like something a PC CLub tech would feed someone.

Thanks Guys, sorry about the confusion I typed fast and didn't proofread( didn't do it in school either). Got it work after I read CrackJiver's post. Even though I already called MS and was waiting for call back support(worst idea ever). Anyway thanks again.

To: UNCLEDAVE, THEFABE & ROBC

I agree with everything you guys had to say as these were my very thoughts at the time. I thought this guy was trying to hose me. However, in fairness to him, he has done everything he said he would do to make it right. I haven't a clue why mem spd would have a damn thing to do with an os install.

BUT... it worked! As I type it is running memtest for win and is error free at this time at DDR 500 with everything stock.

If anyone has any input that would help me understand this I'd love to hear it. In the mean time as the problems described in this thread mirrored mine EXACTLY, I felt compelled to share what I been told.

Got it work after I read CrackJiver's post.

glad to hear it MODE>

I think I had no problems the first time I installed because I didn't read the messages properly and just assumed that it was the other disk it was asking for.:rolleyes:

Hint: Try the MCE media player in party mode :)