Sign in to follow this  
Danuel

Opteron 170 replacment from my 3800+

Well, right now its passed christmas, and money from those odd relatives keeps flowing in, and i've decided to buy a opteron 170 or a 165 possibly, then ebay my 3800 x2, but what im wondering is, on my ultra d with respective bios in signature, will it be a simple drop the opty in clear cmos and maybe re install windows and boom there i am , is there any major bios updating or configuration i need to do to get these opterons in this board, i know they work "un supported" but does it take any magic or special knowledge to do so?

what im wondering is, on my ultra d with respective bios in signature, will it be a simple drop the opty in clear cmos and maybe re install windows and boom there i am?

Yes, it's basically that simple. Your bios is the same one I use on my Opteron 170. Just remove the old chip, clear cmos, and reinstall Windows XP Pro. FYI, dual-cores are only supported with XP Pro not Home edition.

Good Luck!

--Fernando

Yes, it's basically that simple. Your bios is the same one I use on my Opteron 170. Just remove the old chip, clear cmos, and reinstall Windows XP Pro. FYI, dual-cores are only supported with XP Pro not Home edition.

Good Luck!

--Fernando

My Opty 165 runs just fine on Windows XP Home.

Good Luck!

--Fernando

Dual Cores are supported by XP Home. You may need the AMD Driver, Dual Core Optimizer, and MS Hotfix. I didn't reinstall my OS anytime I ever changed a CPU, and that is fairly often. I'd try running with just the CMOS clear myself first.

Dual Cores are supported by XP Home. You may need the AMD Driver, Dual Core Optimizer, and MS Hotfix. I didn't reinstall my OS anytime I ever changed a CPU, and that is fairly often. I'd try running with just the CMOS clear myself first.

I have the AMD Driver and the Dual Core Optimizer installed but not the MS Hotfix. I've read about it but do you find it necessary? So far I haven't noticed anything that would warrant me using the MS Hotfix.

I haven't really noticed any difference with any of the three. I was having some hitches in Half Life 2 Episode 1, but these didn't fix it. I think I am having a slow hard drive issue, which I hope to fix in the next couple of days with a pair of Seagate 7200.10 250GB drives.

My Opty 165 runs just fine on Windows XP Home.

Thanks for correcting me on this. I was under the impression that only XP Pro had support for dual-cores. I think I may have confused that with something else.

--Fernando

Dual Cores are supported by XP Home.

You're right. Thanks for confirming this.

I didn't reinstall my OS anytime I ever changed a CPU, and that is fairly often.

Was this done with single or with dual-cores? The reason I ask is that members have posted that going from single to dual core required an OS reinstall for proper detection and operation; at least this was implied with AMD X2 and Opteron dual-cores. I didn't take the chance when I upgraded from an Athlon 64 3700+ to an Opteron 170 and simply did a new install of XP Pro SP2.

--Fernando

Thanks for correcting me on this. I was under the impression that only XP Pro had support for dual-cores. I think I may have confused that with something else.

--Fernando

No Problem :D

--Fernando

XP Home only supports one physical processor socket :)

You're right. Thanks for confirming this.

Was this done with single or with dual-cores? The reason I ask is that members have posted that going from single to dual core required an OS reinstall for proper detection and operation; at least this was implied with AMD X2 and Opteron dual-cores. I didn't take the chance when I upgraded from an Athlon 64 3700+ to an Opteron 170 and simply did a new install of XP Pro SP2.

--Fernando

I went from an Opty 146 to an Opty 175 most recently. On my NF3 250GB, I went from a 2800+ to a 3400+ to a 3700+ to a Newark 4000+ with no problems.