Can I run an opteron CPU?

It's a different way of measuring HT speed between Opterons and Athlons. They are virtually identical processors. The only difference is the name that they report to Windows etc and the name etched onto the surface of the chip.

I think people were speculating on whether the Optys had slightly better silicon so they could be run constantly in high stress server environments, but I don't know if we ever reached a conclusion.

I think the 2000mhx HT is probably just a different way of marketing Atlhons. The Opteron is slightly better (it has a cooler name too!).

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

having a x2 4400

wonder is it worth my while changing to opty 165-170

I would say that it's not marketing, it's just typos on part of Newegg (and whoever else screws up).

Opterons were made for the server environment, which means running much longer than a normal PC user would normally run his PC. It is possible that they used better silicon for the Opteron series.

And no it's not worth changing your X2 4400 to an Opteron 165/170 unless you get a crappy overclock. It has the same cache size and everything, and I wouldn't waste more money.

I would say that it's not marketing, it's just typos on part of Newegg (and whoever else screws up).

Opterons were made for the server environment, which means running much longer than a normal PC user would normally run his PC. It is possible that they used better silicon for the Opteron series.

And no it's not worth changing your X2 4400 to an Opteron 165/170 unless you get a crappy overclock. It has the same cache size and everything, and I wouldn't waste more money.

cheer guy

was looking at fx60 dual core cpu,but still very high price for what it is

In short the Operton is a superior CPU next to the X2 series

I do not know if I agree with your statement. If you look at the specifications I think you will be hard pressed to find differences. While most of what you read that people write on the net is based on speculation or opinion, the white papers from the manufacturer will give you a clearer picture. While its simply speculation here, it has been suggested that the Opty chips may have a stronger memory controller. This may be or may not be true.

Jason

I do not know if I agree with your statement. If you look at the specifications I think you will be hard pressed to find differences. While most of what you read that people write on the net is based on speculation or opinion, the white papers from the manufacturer will give you a clearer picture. While its simply speculation here, it has been suggested that the Opty chips may have a stronger memory controller. This may be or may not be true.

Jason

Indeed.. I wouldn't think there are any sources that can outright say that the Opteron is a better CPU than the X2. If you buy a 175 clocked at 2.2GHz and an X2 4400+ clocked at 2.2GHz, there's no difference.. just a different name slapped on each chip.

Jason

Well of course if you just look at the specs AMD puts out there's no difference between a dual 2.2GHz/1MB 939 opteron and a dual 2.2GHz 939 Athlon64, it's just well known by overclockers that the opteron, being a server chip, overclocks better. A chip's ability to overclock has little to do with its spec sheet from AMD. In fact overclocks can vary widely between different steppings for which AMD publishes identical specifications. The only exception I know of where the specs directly affect the overclock is if the chip is designed to operate at a lower voltage than normal (AthlonXP-M, Athlon64 X2 EE), or of course if it's a server chip.