R600. Who's gonna get one?

I know how ludicrous this sounds, but I am thinking of buying an X1950 XTX for $495 CAD + 14% tax... Technically, i'm not buying it since it would be a present, but still.. I am thinking about it... If R600 doesn't get here soon enough for my January build...

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LookBackX2

I like the R600 hype, or any hype for that matter.

If you keep up with it as it unfolds, then think about peoples comments 6months later, it gets real easy to know who gives good advise, and who to take suggestions from about a build or setting.

@

I know how ludicrous this sounds, but I am thinking of buying an X1950 XTX for $495 CAD + 14% tax... Technically, i'm not buying it since it would be a present, but still.. I am thinking about it... If R600 doesn't get here soon enough for my January build...

Like Waren here, who is reading this hype to help decide if he needs a current Gen card or wait for a next Gen.

My advise would be to get a 1950xtx if your Jan build is to be an AMD machine as that is about as powerfull a card as A64's can keep busy.

But if you are gonna get a Connie, why not wait and get DX10 support?

Then again, why buy a DX9 card with DX10 card(s) so close to the same prices that perform way better?

I think I am gonna wait, and compare the r600's and the G80's performance and reliability before I spend assloads of cash.

LOVIN' THE HYPE! lol :)

Red beaver there is no reason for ATI(AMD) to hold back the 1950's will continue to sell for a wile they will just be relabeled under clocked and have a cheaper heatsink. Look at the former X850 cards the xtx was just turned into a GTO with some of the pipes locked same core etc.

There will always be a need for more grapics power and likly in a year ATI will double it again same for Nvidia. Even then people will still want more as they do now.

who is reading this hype

That's the question I'm asking myself.

My advise would be to get a 1950xtx if your Jan build is to be an AMD machine as that is about as powerfull a card as A64's can keep busy.

B

I totally disagree. An A64 is TOTALLY capable of keeping a GTX busy at 19x12 16x/16x with all the eye candy on.

Well it looks like the graphics battle is about to go into full swing again with DX10 technology. Nvidia has released their first DX10 ready board and ATI is about to release the R600 architecture (rumored to be January 20th). Supposedly it will be the heaviest and thickest board yet but will be shorter and will run cooler than the 8800's. Power consumption will run between 130W to 225W. I bet the recommended PSU list will be going undergoing a major face lift within the next half year! Who's stoked and who is gonna get one!? Count me in. ;)

Cooler than a G80...not hardly.

Viper

However their performance is supposed to do to the G80 what the G80 did to the 1950XTX's.

Don't hold your breath or bet your rig on that!

The x1950 was just a refresh of the x1900 (same core) with the memory controller optimized

for GDR4. It was never intended to even be remotely competitive with a G80 card.

Viper

Cooler than a G80...not hardly.

From Wikipedia:

Comparisons with main competitors

* It is shorter and is designed to run cooler than its main competitor, GeForce 8800 GTX and 8800 GTS.

From Bjorn3d.com:

For starters, the rumour about this 80nm chip eating around 300W is far from truth. The thermal budget is around 200-220 Watts and the board should not consume more power than a Geforce 8800GTX. Our own Fudo was right in a detail - the R600 cooler is designed to dissipate 250 Watts. This was necessary to have an cooling headroom of at least 15 per cent.

As far as I can tell it sounds like it will run cooler. However it is possible that this means the chipset and memory itself will run cooler but at the same time dissipate more ambient heat than the 8800GTX. Time will tell all. :)

Core working frequency ranging at 700 MHz to 800 MHz

1 GB and rumoured up to 2 GB on board GDDR4 RAM working frequencies higher than that of X1950XTX's effective memory clock speeds of 2.0 GHz.

Totally a NVIDIA fan boy but how could 2gb of GDDR4 with a core at 800mhz not beat an 8800gtx? :) I know its rumors mostly but still...how can you come out with something slower later then your competition and be a successful company?

Red beaver there is no reason for ATI(AMD) to hold back the 1950's will continue to sell for a wile they will just be relabeled under clocked and have a cheaper heatsink. Look at the former X850 cards the xtx was just turned into a GTO with some of the pipes locked same core etc.

There will always be a need for more grapics power and likly in a year ATI will double it again same for Nvidia. Even then people will still want more as they do now.

thast the point. it will continue to sell, but only for a while! they want it to be longer...

when the x850 turned into GTO, how many people buy them and for how long? take out the enthusiast, and u'll barely have any sale at all.

x1950 has been concevied when they released the x1900. they just dont wanna release it yet. why? sales! they dont wanna kill the x800s since they cant release x1950 proportionate (is this even a word?) to its performance level. it will cost an arm and a leg wit the price of the x800s.

i was a junior system analyst for ATI 2003-2005 here in Canada for my co-op years... but im such an Nvidia fanboy. ;)