R600. Who's gonna get one?

Well it looks like the graphics battle is about to go into full swing again with DX10 technology. Nvidia has released their first DX10 ready board and ATI is about to release the R600 architecture (rumored to be January 20th). Supposedly it will be the heaviest and thickest board yet but will be shorter and will run cooler than the 8800's. Power consumption will run between 130W to 225W. I bet the recommended PSU list will be going undergoing a major face lift within the next half year! Who's stoked and who is gonna get one!? Count me in. ;)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

between 130 and 225? That's a bit crazy.. do you mean 130 at idle and 225 at full load? That still sounds crazy.

If we have issues cooling CPUs with huge Tuniq Towers that take 130-150 watts, how the **** are we supposed to be able to cool these cards with the space you have inbetween PCI card slots?

The stock cooling is always disgusting. At those wattages, aftermarket cooling will have trouble, much less the stock cooling that comes on these with the 50mm fan and the tiny heatsink.. I forsee a lot of burned cards in the future. Watercooling would be a necessity for SLI.

Eh, I can't wait to see the benchmarks and the visuals but I must say I'm going to hold off on getting one until they've been out for a while and maybe a few card generations have gone by. I'm a poor college student. :P Hopefully after the initial bang the cards will start becoming more efficient heat-wise and power-wise. I guess we'll see.

Hi

I am running a XFX 7800 GTX Extreme card (256 mb) and since I brought that countless new cards have arrived on the scene - 4 or maybe even 5 in the past 18 months.

I had been looking at getting the XFX 8800GTX Extreme edition card but I have been wondering how the R600 series will compare and I think that I will wait a bit longer and see what happens.

I know that there is no real right or wrong time to buy as anything you do get will be obsolete within hours anyway.

I think my £ or $ will be better spent on a CD2 chip, new DDR2 RAM and a new DFI M/B and then seeing how things go.

I plan to get one but I may wait untill the price drops and there is a game that needs it. My 1900XTX is fast enough to hold me off for a wile.

The top card reportedly has a thermal budget of 225 watts(from a offical interview though it was some time ago) that sounds about right. That would not be all that much more than the 1950. So the stock cards should be more than able to handle it though not with silence. The 1900XTX has a very effective heatsink though with a noise level to match.

no this isnt. this is the new video card will be released by ATI next year. their first DirectX 10 card.

Perhaps the power consumption is insane (I figure 150% of the g80's), however their performance is supposed to do to the G80 what the G80 did to the 1950XTX's.

that would be scary. currently, the 8800GTX spanked (and i being nice and polite) the X1950's a$$ real good. and that's on Crossfire. and the GTX on single. (ok maybe i exagurate arond 5-10%)

if R600 can hit that kind of performance ABOVE a 8800, GTS even, then its either gonna be:

- its gonna cost an arm and a leg

- it'll be around $500-$600, but then NOBODY will buy an X1950 series card.

its just bad management. companies wanna put their fastest product on the shelves to own the market, but if they're jumping too far ahead, there will be some losses to be cut for their mainstream product. coz then there would be no sense not to buy a card that performs 200% better at only 10% extra cost.

so companies will go for something like 50% better, at 20% extra cost.

currently, the G80 is nearly 50% faster than ATI's fastest cards, at about 10%~20% extra cost.

if R600 is 50% faster than G80... well... u do the math.

anyhow, point is...

R600 will be fast, probably as fast or SLIGHTLY faster than G80.

which brought us back to the same old dillemma... abit more money, abit better performance... which in the end, boils down to what chipset/mobo u got...

end of story.

now get over this R600 hype! :D