Sign in to follow this  
DFIChriZ

4 ram slots used = single channel ram access?

Hi,

I am currently building a HTPC around the RS482. The build is not yet complete - its missing all drives but I thought I power it on anyway with just CPU and RAM. I am currently using 2xGEIL 512MB ram sticks and 2xA-DATA 1024MB sticks. They work fine and BIOS recognizes the 3072MB RAM setup. The only thing which surprises me is that they work in single channel mode :confused:. I have the very same ram setup in my other PC which runs in dual channel mode :rolleyes:. Is there anything I need to pay attention to to get the ram sticks to work in dual channel mode? CPU is a 3800X2. Everything is at stock settings for now. GEIL ram is in slot 1 & 3; A-DATA in 2 & 4. Putting GEIL in 1 & 2 and A-DATA in 3 & 4 didn't work (BTW thanks for the intelligent ram-slot color coding, DFI).

Best regards,

ChriZ

According to the manual on page 28 in the english section, if you are using 4 sticks of memory, you will only get DDR 400 speed if using single sided Memory Chips. If you are using Double Sided memory sticks as most are, then you will end up with a reduced speed of DDR333 when running 4 memory sticks.

Jason

That's messed up, I mean the BIOS will only recognize around 3.5GB of RAM due to a limitation of the RS482's chipset or BIOS (I don't know which) but it should still operate in dual channel mode.

I know on my board the black slots don't work period (not that I tried extremely hard but the blue ones work a heck of a lot better), but you should really have dual channel DDR333 as Comicdom1 said in this situation. Maybe make sure you have CPC turned off (i.e. use 2T) and check that you've set them to DDR333 (166MHz, or 5/6 divider). Also maybe try each stick on its own one at a time to make sure one isn't damaged (check for the full 1024MB on each one)

Also regarding RAM slot color coding, if you put 2 sticks of RAM in the same colored slots (i.e. right beside each other) you get dual channel. If you check on page 26 of the motheboard manual it shows that from left to right (from CPU socket to IDE connectors) the RAM slots use channels A, B, A, B. For dual channel you obviously want the same amount of RAM in each channel. This is confirmed on page 27 where they tell you which slots to use for dual channel with 2 sticks of RAM.

Check here:

http://us.dfi.com.tw/Upload/Manual/89900545.pdf