Sign in to follow this  
hanibal

I am getting NTLDR error at boot frequently!

I am getting NTLDR frequently and when i do if i change my sata cables from position 1 and 2 to 3 and 4 computer will boot. When it happens again i change them back. Is this a defective mobo since it cant read from the hd sometimes or what?

Why always blame the mobo, it could be a faulty cable more inclined to go with that than the board, possible corrupted windows install, possible defective hdd...

Logan

hd are fairly new connectors are locked in and this was a fresh install recently. So if this happens again, i would change the sata cables from 3/4 and use 1/2 again. This should not keep happening every once and awhile? Also while computer is on, i would come back and get this error, so it would shut down for some reason? Is there a new flash or something

Also while computer is on, i would come back and get this error, so it would shut down for some reason?

Stability issues?

Stability issues especially with ram can cause corruption = NTLDR missing or corrupt.

Logan

atability issues would cause ntldr?

Yup.

I've had it from going overboard on overclocks before. Cleared the OC and luckily my OS booted fine.

I know you haven't mentioned (and your sig doesn't show) any overclocking, but this does suggest that instability can cause it.

Doesn't even have to be overclocked. Same thing with improper timings.

Guest bobyjo
I am getting NTLDR frequently and when i do if i change my sata cables from position 1 and 2 to 3 and 4 computer will boot. When it happens again i change them back. Is this a defective mobo since it cant read from the hd sometimes or what?

Do you have an IDE Hard Drive in your system?

Was that hard drive attached to the IDE controller when you installed the OS?

I had the same problem, Win XP in not smart enough to see the SATA hd. Even though the OS is being installed on the SATA Drive.

I have that same setup, to reslolve this issue, I had to unplug the power cable going to the IDE hard drive. Do the install onto the SATA drive. After all is completed, the OS will not look at the IDE drive for that boot file.

The OS will looik at the SATA drive for all the boot files.

After the OS is installed, attach the power cable to the IDE hard drive.

I use the IDE drive for backup and storage of stuff that I don't want to loose if my hard drive fails again.

Guest bobyjo

I suggest purchasing some SATA 3.0gb cables.

Can be had without spending a lot of $$.

They do make a difference.