NB temp is way to high

i think this is the cause of some of my instability...im reading 59c from Smartguardian for my chipset temp. it was in game about 62c! i have an Accelero X2 on my X1900XTX to imagine thats not helping, but that seems to be super high. I also have the chipset fan cranking at 6,700RPM right now...

i think this is the cause of some of my instability...im reading 59c from Smartguardian for my chipset temp. it was in game about 62c! i have an Accelero X2 on my X1900XTX to imagine thats not helping, but that seems to be super high. I also have the chipset fan cranking at 6,700RPM right now...

That doesn't sound right... right now mine is at 6500 RPM and I'm getting temps of 41C... 44C when I game.

And yes, the Accelero X2 won't help cause it cools your video card, not the chipset.

Does it feel that hot when you touch it? It would seem to me that the temp sensor is off.

well, ill know if the Accelero is doing it today. I ordered a Zalman VF900-Cu for the x1900xtx which still doest blow the heat out the back of the case, but it doesnt blow it directly onto the MB and NB.

ive had random crashes during WoW and i'd love to know why. i imagine its the NB getting to hot cause when i get back into WinXP smartguardian loads to a temp of about 60c. that cant be good, especially since this is a cool running chip by all accounts.

well, ill know if the Accelero is doing it today. I ordered a Zalman VF900-Cu for the x1900xtx which still doest blow the heat out the back of the case, but it doesnt blow it directly onto the MB and NB.

ive had random crashes during WoW and i'd love to know why. i imagine its the NB getting to hot cause when i get back into WinXP smartguardian loads to a temp of about 60c. that cant be good, especially since this is a cool running chip by all accounts.

Did you remove the cooling fan on the north bridge, clean the thermal paste off both the fan and the chip, and replace it with some Artic Silver 5? I think if you do this then you will notice a drop in your temps. In fact I suggest you do it on both your north and south bridge.

Jason

Did you remove the cooling fan on the north bridge, clean the thermal paste off both the fan and the chip, and replace it with some Artic Silver 5? I think if you do this then you will notice a drop in your temps. In fact I suggest you do it on both your north and south bridge.

Jason

Either way it shouldn't reach that high of a temperature... I haven't put AS5 on the NB/SB and my NB temp is only 41C.

Either way it shouldn't reach that high of a temperature... I haven't put AS5 on the NB/SB and my NB temp is only 41C.

Well I am not here to argue with you, but there is a reason that they use heat sinks and/or fans on the north and south bridges. They also make Northbridge coolers like the Thermaltake Extreem 2. Not all heatsinks or fans get seated properly and can and will give you higher motherboard temps than normal. A good example of this is what happened with my Asus P5B Wifi MB. I was getting high board temps and so were several other users. I think there is even a thread on this over in Extreme Forums, but it might be another. Anyway, after removing the heat pipe and heat sink, and cleaning off the TIM or Thermal paste, and then replacing it with Artic Silver 5, on the North and South bridge of that motherboard, the Motherboard temps dropped 15 to 20 Centigrade, which is very significant. The bottom line here, is sometimes heatsinks do not get seated properly or the TIM or thermal paste used is not applied properly. Parts also get banged around in shipping and things can get dislodged. So before you discount what I am suggesting in regard to your Northbridge Fan or South bridge Heat sink, take a look at them, consider removing them, cleaning the chip and sink and applying some Artic Silver 5 and reseating them. You have nothing to lose but a little time, effort, and Artic Silver 5 by doing this.

Jason

Well I am not here to argue with you, but there is a reason that they use heat sinks and/or fans on the north and south bridges. They also make Northbridge coolers like the Thermaltake Extreem 2. Not all heatsinks or fans get seated properly and can and will give you higher motherboard temps than normal. A good example of this is what happened with my Asus P5B Wifi MB. I was getting high board temps and so were several other users. I think there is even a thread on this over in Extreme Forums, but it might be another. Anyway, after removing the heat pipe and heat sink, and cleaning off the TIM or Thermal paste, and then replacing it with Artic Silver 5, on the North and South bridge of that motherboard, the Motherboard temps dropped 15 to 20 Centigrade, which is very significant. The bottom line here, is sometimes heatsinks do not get seated properly or the TIM or thermal paste used is not applied properly. Parts also get banged around in shipping and things can get dislodged. So before you discount what I am suggesting in regard to your Northbridge Fan or South bridge Heat sink, take a look at them, consider removing them, cleaning the chip and sink and applying some Artic Silver 5 and reseating them. You have nothing to lose but a little time, effort, and Artic Silver 5 by doing this.

Jason

I'm not here to argue with you either, nor to discount your post about applying some AS5 on top of the chip.

I simply said that temperatures should not normally be that high, and that the temperature sensor could have been off. You said nothing about reseating the HS/F.

well, i bought a VF900-Cu for my VC and it seems to to have helped a lot. not only does it seem to be cooling the VC very well as well as quietly, it has cooled down the NB chip by about 7-15c! The Accelero was just gushing super hot X1900XTX air right on top of the fan and that can't help things at all...plus the fan was at 100% all the time so it was kinda loud in my silent-ish case. Not sure which is which but here are my current Speedfan readouts:

Temp1: 29 chip - IT8712F

Temp2: 41 chip - IT8712F

Temp3: 46 chip - IT8712F

Temp1: 32 chip - ACPI

Core: 33c chip - AMD K8

any decyphering would be great...

i've installed the Evercool VC-RE on the MB. little bit lower temps i guess, lower noise...def nice to have. but one thing i havent heard on any posts is how it covers up the MB screw hole thats above it. just something to keep in mind.

• 7 months later...

"The Accelero was just gushing super hot X1900XTX"

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

exactly why i canned the Accelero 2, come on! why can't they make a small design change and have the hot air exhaust out the rear of the case like the stock cooler?

IMHO it is a recipe to really hot runnings internally....

i was using said cooler on my x1900xtx, and when it went south (thank god for extended warranties), i got a x1950xtx, no way was i gonna live with the room heater blasting hot air inside the case....

not all versions of the accelero are better, and the accelero2 is a piss poor design....

i got sucked into the 'hype' with the accelero1 and 4 versions, both slam the hot air out the rear, particularly for the 9800 Pro, quite an improvement over stock cooling. the GTO2 didn't fair as well, but still an improvement....

laterzzzz