So Ya Think You Want to Go to Vista Huh???

ViperJohn

...But now, I only have one issue: at boot I get a "Part of Tagger has stopped working" error, which I have to say "ok" to. That's it. Considering a few of the USB and application issues I had repeatedly with XP, the overall visual appeal of Aero, and the superiority of Vista Chess as compared with the lack of XP chess (and even Ubuntu chess), I would have to say that at this point in time I am very happy to have Vista on my primary computer...Sure, it has lower framerates but my shiny new 8800GT does fine...

So you're ok with system errors and a sub-par performing GPU as long as aero and chess look good? I don't get it... :confused:

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you're ok with system errors and a sub-par performing GPU as long as aero and chess look good? I don't get it... :confused:

ya I'm sorta scratching my head too...as well as sub-par (below XP) disk transfers, searching, networking is definitely not as efficient as XP (I've got a dual-boot going), not to mention some programs still don't work, or you can't 'modify' any of the games you install into the default location so you have to install . elsewhere...it just doesn't make sense.

Not to mention the HOGGING of system memory (typical @ 800MB - 1GB RAM usage at any given time after boot), all kinds of . (services) on and running in the background (they can be disabled but too many dependencies now so shutting off one thing usually ends up giving you an error message that some other service failed to start because of the service you turned off when you boot each time), and then there's still the application errors that one receives while running software that SHOULD be working without issue (Firefox, MS Office, Photoshop).

Must be unstable machine! you say? Hardly because I simply boot back into XP on the same rig and happily play and work and surf etc without issue.

Oh, and drivers for hardware STILL suck. I use Ventrilo on XP no problem, but in Vista32 and Vista64...it still won't work very well (if at all), not because of Ventrilo, but because of the sound drivers that either MS or Creative have tried to tell me "work 100% properly!" yet they don't.

No, Vista is still a child's OS compared to XP, and I honestly don't see it changing.

SP1 is out and absolutely nothing has changed...and if anything, the rig is actually slower and less applications work now. In 90 days I'm sure the apps will work again, but I honestly don't see Vista as ever being anything but bloated bloaty bloatware that can't hold a candle to XP.

I, nor any of my customers, nor any of the business/enterprise people I know will ever change to Vista. I've already told them about Windows7 and that they will still be receiving support for XP for about 5 more years, more than enough time for one of two things to happen to make sure Vista NEVER makes it anywhere near their machines:

1. Windows 7 as mentioned earlier, has enough time (before XP's support expires) to "get it right", something Vista cannot and will not ever do.

2. Linux...as a desktop for business, it's very good as long as your employees know where to find the things they need for work. For gaming it still sucks, but gaming is an afterthought for the majority of the world who uses the computer for school, work, business, etc.

Linux is looking more and more viable for the majority of users who don't need specific apps like GAMES lol.

Anyway, it's ok to like Vista (ie it's ok to like sound crashing, slower transfers, errors every step of the way, UAC bugging the xxxx out of you every 9 seconds until you turn it off, which is an adventure all by itself, xxxx you can't even turn off Windows Defender without serious time-consuming bull crap rooting around and then you end up getting stupid errors on boot until you get the rest of the damn roots of Defender removed...), it's ok to accept the LIES that MS tells you about how DX10 can't be installed on XP (LIES LIES LIES xxxxING LIES AREN'T YOU CUSTOMERS TIRED OF ALL THE xxxxING LIES???), whatever Gates and crew want to ram down your throat, you all accept it willingly.

That's cool.

It ain't for me though.

Amen brother, ain't that the truth. Don't even get me started on file transfers, especially over a network. It can easily take 3-4 times as long to transfer compared to XP, which is a big no no when you're transferring 10s and 100s of GB every week, like I do.

But I guess it's all worth it as long as I got a fancy file transfer animation and a timer and transfer speed that are about as accurate as a finger amputee counting 10s on his left over stubs. :rolleyes:

nice sentence, i agree with u all the way

Thanks SS, but I think Travis among other folks hits the nail on the head much better.

Just looking at the business sector, if Vista was all that, why all of the outcries to return to XP? I don't have enough fingers and toes to count how many.

Ok, if you had alot of time and loved the pain, you can get Vista to behave, but why.... Why bother ? lol

I'm not comparing benchmarks, or throwing numbers, I'm just saying I'm happy with Vista and have been having less problems with Vista than I did with XP. That's it. I'm not saying it's a better OS, or even that it will work better for anyone but myself. Just that I like it, which of course leaves no room for argumentation.

On a side note, I have had ZERO problems with the Ubuntu 8.04 BETA (a freaking BETA!!!) which is a lot less than I have had with either windows install.

It wasn't a personal attack from my end nor was it a benchmark comparisson either, it just doesn't make sense to me. I mean the arguments I listed are from my personal experience as well, and trust me I've tried dealing with Vista many times over, on several rigs.

It wasn't a personal attack from my end nor was it a benchmark comparisson either, it just doesn't make sense to me. I mean the arguments I listed are from my personal experience as well, and trust me I've tried dealing with Vista many times on several rigs.

I gotcha. No offense taken

I really believe ms is going to come out with a new os sooner than people think because vista has been such a disapointment. (no one really wants to buy that hunk of you know what) i would not be surprised to see a striped down vista, repackaged, renamed, and kicked out the door by 2009-2010. btw im still running xp.