So Ya Think You Want to Go to Vista Huh???

ViperJohn

This goes Way WAY beyond HDCP of HDMI (and some DVI) outputs.

Viper

How so? Part of the HD deal is that at no point should an end-user (even a technically proficient one) be able to get access to a decrypted HD data stream.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen much peeps whining about the Os they are using, ad more views about the " new" Os that is comming, but you are still free to go Linux, its not that billy-boy shows up your doorstep, puts a nuke to your head and yells;

"Now you install that OS or ill shoot!"

Every one needs to get used to it.

Or actually grab their balls and leave MS and go alternative, but then again from the ten yellers maby 1 goes linux, so ill prob wait and see;)

For all those peeps that obviously dont agree with me:

Try it out, take an opensource OS, start coding and see how many years it will take before you managed to do what billy-boy accomplished so far, dont think you need to make money but just try it out.

just my eurocent:)

I don't know how much of experience you have in using Linux/BSD/OpenSolaris, but you do miss some important issues.

Like I already said before: I use MS products (okey, one reason is that certain specialized programs at work are exclusively designed and based on MS file-systems) and I don't hate the company or Bill (my C: partition is labeled "Bill's corner"; he has his corner on my system and I'm comfortable with that).

Honestly, "bill-boy" like you call him, hasn't accomplished anything really when it comes to codecs for multimedia on the technical front; at least not more than other operating systems (if we talk about quality there are other superior ones which are open-source). That's a non-issue. The issue is that "bill-boy" foremost is a very screwed business man who knows how to limit the competition.

So the problems many has in migrating to any alternative operating systems is that even though literally MS doesn't say: "Now you install that OS or ill shoot!"; MS has been haunting the Linux community for years and that literally. Linux distros have to be crippled in the aspect of codecs and some drivers to avoid being sued. As a user you could get sued if you live in the US for using a full featured Linux.

This is the reality, so don't make a big matter about how easy it is with codecs in XP. Certain necessary multimedia libraries for linux has to be kept on servers where MS view on the so called "intellectual property" hasn't been juridically implemented.

How easy do you think it would be if every user of MS products had to hack the system to able to take full use of it?

While Linux is an alternative, I don't see it becoming a complete solution for Vista anytime soon. As it stands now, it hasn't become a complete solution for Windows XP so moving to Linux expecting to be able to do all of those things you could do in Windows without restrictions is just lying to yourself.

The main difference is always going to be MS gets paid for it's time, Linux coders donate their time. As an example, Firefox 2.0 is broken in Gentoo ATM and had been for quite some time, but it works well in Windows..

I use Gentoo Linux for probably 80% of what I do these days and I enjoy it but I still have to boot into Windows daily.

I'm just going to let it all play out and then make my decision. If the things I want to do with my computer are only available from MS I don't see how I have much choice but to use their products..

While Linux is an alternative, I don't see it becoming a complete solution for Vista anytime soon. As it stands now, it hasn't become a complete solution for Windows XP so moving to Linux expecting to be able to do all of those things you could do in Windows without restrictions is just lying to yourself.

The main difference is always going to be MS gets paid for it's time, Linux coders donate their time. As an example, Firefox 2.0 is broken in Gentoo ATM and had been for quite some time, but it works well in Windows..

I use Gentoo Linux for probably 80% of what I do these days and I enjoy it but I still have to boot into Windows daily.

I'm just going to let it all play out and then make my decision. If the things I want to do with my computer are only available from MS I don't see how I have much choice but to use their products..

firefox-2.0 works here bud ;) just because it's not in the portage stable tree doesn't mean it doesn't work. i always have had good experience with unstable packages, unstable meaning when gentoo devs feel that the package needs more testing before being let into the wild. Most times unstable packages will just work. I would onlyt be cautious with "hard masked" package which are labeled as "not known to work".

www-client/mozilla-firefox

Available versions: 1.5.0.7 1.5.0.8 1.5.0.9 (~)1.5.0.9-r1 (~)2.0-r1 (~)2.0-r2 (~)2.0.0.1

Installed versions: 2.0.0.1(12:08:44 12/24/06)(-debug -filepicker gnome -ipv6 java -linguas_ar -linguas_bg -linguas_ca -linguas_cs -linguas_da -linguas_de -linguas_el -linguas_en_GB -linguas_es -linguas_es_AR -linguas_es_ES -linguas_eu -linguas_fi -linguas_fr -linguas_fy -linguas_fy_NL -linguas_ga -linguas_ga_IE -linguas_gu -linguas_gu_IN -linguas_he -linguas_hu -linguas_it -linguas_ja -linguas_ka -linguas_ko -linguas_ku -linguas_lt -linguas_mk -linguas_mn -linguas_nb -linguas_nb_NO -linguas_nl -linguas_nn -linguas_nn_NO -linguas_pa -linguas_pa_IN -linguas_pl -linguas_pt -linguas_pt_BR -linguas_pt_PT -linguas_ru -linguas_sk -linguas_sl -linguas_sv -linguas_sv_SE -linguas_tr -linguas_zh -linguas_zh_CN -linguas_zh_TW -mozbranding -mozdevelop -moznopango -restrict-javascript xforms -xinerama xprint)

on another note,.. linux is not ready for Games,2d,3d graphic design, & audio/video production as there is little to choose from in terms of applications.

I thought you knew me better than that Likewhoa, it took me all of about a week to start unmasking packages.. :) I probably wounded the cow but I am almost positive I unmasked 2.0.0.1 but maybe not. It will be a day or two till I can reconfigure after switching from the CFX back to the expert. At least I didn't lose everything this time..

nice,.. i just go all out and put ~amd64 ~x86 in make.conf and just use package.keywords and .unmask for hard masked packages after having a package.keywords with 80 packages it got annoying.

btw the current FF i'm using works with all my add-ons :)

well... it wasn´t a guy... it was the whole EU that sued M$ for binding a program to their os that isn´t really necessary. that "guy" (EU) made M$ to open some of their sourcecodes to other software companies, so that they can integrate their programs better in the os.

u still think this is dumb?

I hope for the day when M$ is stripping down their os to something smaller and lets the user decide what programs he really needs.

I think its dumb.

I think its dumb that they were sued for having programs integrated with there OS. It's their OS, why cant they due to it as they please?

Seriously.

Whats next. Is the EU going to sue an automobile manufacture that includes cup holders in all models of there cars for free?

And secondly, its their source code. They wrote and developed it(depending who you ask). Why should they have to open any of it up?

It's no joke; large integrated cup holders promote oversize drinks at fast food restaurant which in turn caused the majority of the US population to become obese. :rolleyes:

Hey don't give those retards any more reasons to sue. I can see it in the newspaper already: "Teenager sues GM. Says they are responsable for her weight problem." lol

haha The cup holders in my car prevent my car from being put into park if there is an oversized drink in it.

OR

Large trunks allows the obese to be killed and transported easier

lol, seriously when did the manufactures lose control of the FREE things they can include.

people are reading way more into this than neccesary....

it's the same jump as from 3.1 to 95 or 98 or 98se or ME or 2000.... whatever...you have to switch sooner or later just because hardware and software have more support for the newer... if it wasnt the case we'd all still be dealling with the craptacular 98se we all had to deal with....

I am sure some, if not most would agree, that the switch from 98 to XP was a good one.... some of you fought that tooth and nail but once you switched you wouldnt look back....

I am glad I switched.... Vista is just the same thing with more features... the only thing that really sucks for us right now is some of the programs we use on XP just wont work on Vista.... not yet at least....

Personally I like Vista and the new features...most of them...I think it's a nice improvement over previous versions...

People are always going to like everything.... nomatter what MS dishes out, nomatter how good it maybe someone will always cripe about something....

The dumbest thing I ever heard was when that guy sued MS for putting Media Player as the default player and he didnt like that...and he got millions for it...JACKASS.... he could have just installed something else and ran with it but NO he had to gripe for money because he appearently figure how not to use it or uninstall it....Grow up....

For most and me included...MS's OS's are the most hands free, trouble free OS's i've messed with...good right out of the box...AND the stuff I dont like I dont whine like a baby....I just find something I do like....and be happy...

Nothings perfect...nothing will ever be.... just let it flow...;)

i dont think you understand, microsoft is trying to controll the whole market making us all suffer over this stupid encryption. They are also trying to make the os more limited, by not allowing certain drivers open source programs etc. Do you not want options, and have MS control what you have on the oS? want them to control what hardware you can use? what programs, drivers etc you cant and can use?

i hope not, but thats what they are trying to do, only reason why most of us would switch to vista is because nothing else offers suport for new games and features, ONLY FOR MICROSOFt, becase they tried to do this so they can be all monopolistic and rich.

I think its dumb.

I think its dumb that they were sued for having programs integrated with there OS. It's their OS, why cant they due to it as they please?

Seriously.

Whats next. Is the EU going to sue an automobile manufacture that includes cup holders in all models of there cars for free?

And secondly, its their source code. They wrote and developed it(depending who you ask). Why should they have to open any of it up?

There exist common international understanding and in some fields agreement about the dangers of monopoly, or attempts to reach such a position. The same applies to within the US. Sometimes merges of companies aren't allowed for example, because it would harm the market too much. Therefore there also exist a legal framework for software developers.

I understand that this answer isn't as fun as other replies. Nevertheless EU's case against MS had the goal of making competition possible; hence a operating system is simply that, and if you want multimedia that's another choice of products. If Europeans do business in the US they have fulfill their obligations according to US standards, and vice verse for US companies when doing business within the EU.

When it comes to the source code I believe its not so much EU but software developers like Norton and others who are afraid of loosing their market share. Previous versions of Windows have been an excellent venue for companies developing anti-virus programs and similar programs; the design of Vista is a threat for them. Personally I don't have an opinion about this, basically because I don't know all the facts and haven't been very interested in it either.

Some decide to sue MS and MS decides to sue others... this has been going on for years.