Sign in to follow this  
Splave

Backside video card cooling

Hey guys, dunno if anyone has tried this or brought the idea. You know how when you think your temps are getting high you reach into your case and feel the back side of the graphics card right where the GPU is? Would it not help cooling that area as well? Would something ghetto even like strapping an old AMD heatsink on the back help or would it being metal connect some of the . on the back of the card and short it out or something....:confused: Probably a lame idea but its been in the back of mind for a while now. Someone please squash it so I can stop thinking about it

Hey guys, dunno if anyone has tried this or brought the idea. You know how when you think your temps are getting high you reach into your case and feel the back side of the graphics card right where the GPU is? Would it not help cooling that area as well? Would something ghetto even like strapping an old AMD heatsink on the back help or would it being metal connect some of the . on the back of the card and short it out or something....:confused: Probably a lame idea but its been in the back of mind for a while now. Someone please squash it so I can stop thinking about it

Just attaching a heatsink is a big bad idea... everything on the back side of the video card is able to short, a heatsink would do that no doubt. You could use some kind of thermal material, like a pad as big as the heatsink to make contact and cover the entire surface, its just a matter of finding this material.

I used a 60 mm, then an 80 mm fan just blowing air on top of the video card and the temperature dropped 4° C. I think this proves cooling the other side will give good results.

There was this ati aftermarket cooler that had a backplate...it cooled the ram chips and it had a little square that was positioned right behind the cpu....it had some kind of thermal pad(rubber like) so it dindnt short out anything...dont remember wich cooler was.

Sorry for my english guys...xmas and alcohol :P

Do you guys remember the old Slot-1 Pentiums??? I think Pentium II and III with some Celerons used this type of installation back then...

I remember someone posted his slot-1 system, overclocked of course, and how he achieved better temperatures cooling the back side of the cpu slot: using a big square of thermal pad to cushion the heatsink so it wouldn't make contact with any of the solder points... he used passive cooling, but it was more than enough to drop the temperature on his PIII.

Later I used this 60 to 80 mm fan converter as a funnel to cool down my Radeon 9700 Pro... using a 60 mm and cooling 80 square mm area on top of the card. With Tweak Monster ram sinks and a Vantec IceberQ 4 on the GPU I was able to run the 9700 Pro higher than 9800 Pro speeds and get a huge boost in 3dMark score as well as with all the games. The computer case got to be cooler also, something to do with the heat buildup being totally removed from the video card.

My 7800gt has a square black piece of metal on the back of it, but it's raised about 1mm so it makes no contact except for the screws holding it. It still gets a little warm when my gpu is at like 60c. Putting a thermal pad underneath it would definitely let it absorb more heat.