Sign in to follow this  
UKMach

Does the X-Fi sound card have popping/crackling?

I have been thinking about upgrading my soundcard to this;

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....rodid=SC-032-CL

but after looking at reviews i came across a problem that alot of people have been having with this soundcard. creative say that it might be somehting to do with nForce4 mobos and that a bios update might fix the problem. does anyone know of this problem happening with the dfi ultra-d mobo and if there is a bios update to fix it?

heres a link to an article about it:

http://xfi.blogspot.com/2006/06/soundblast...ckling-and.html

I've been using the X-Fi Xtreme Fidelity version with my Utra-D since they were both new and never experienced any problems whatsoever... I'm actually quite impressed with it, whether I'm gaming or listening to my Grado headphones. Have you installed the drivers that came with it first? Then go to Sounblaster's website and auto update?

FYI, I have an X-Fi XtremeMusic with NF4 SLI-DR with zero problems! I have it installed in the last PCI slot and using MoBo bios version 4/6/2006.

Good Luck!

--Fernando

The X-fi has been working pretty good for me since day one. I had two different X-fi cards in the system and they have both worked fine. One was an extreme music X-fi from the very first batch (Got it the first day it was available). This one had the no heatsink on the X-fi chip and suppose to have the first revision problem firmware...with the crackling and popping issue. The second X-fi was the fatality that I bought for the X-ram. This was a new revision card with the heatsink on the X-fi chip. I have had both these cards in the system for a good amount of time and lots of gaming without any problems. I have been on the creative forums reading about the problems with it and the NF4. I have seen everything from it is a problem with the first batch of X-fi cards, putting the RAM in dual channel mode, RMA-ing for a new firmware upgrade, update software, update MB Bios, try putting the card in a different PCI slot...etc. On my expert mb, I have used all three BIOS versions for the motherboard. I have had the X-fi installed on all the different PCI slots, and tried all the different software updates from creative, multiple reformats. It has been working great the whole time. I do get the snap,crackling, popping when I plug the X-fi card into my old ASUS P4C800-E MB w/ the intel 875P chipset. Nothing I have tried to do for troubleshooting has seemed to help me there.

UKMach no offense or anything but Overclockers UK are the worst ecompany i have ever used for pc hardware, and there RMA policy is the worst i have ever come across......from what i here they are currently under investigation by Trading Standards......do yourself a favour and purchase your hardware elsewhere in the UK.

Logan

UKMach no offense or anything but Overclockers UK are the worst ecompany i have ever used for pc hardware, and there RMA policy is the worst i have ever come across......from what i here they are currently under investigation by Trading Standards......do yourself a favour and purchase your hardware elsewhere in the UK.

Logan

Yeah, I agree.

Big big big big big hassle for me when I bought ALL my pc stuff from them.

I won't go into details, but it took them over 5 months to return my money.

Not good

I had a X-Fi plat installed on my EVGA NF41 and never experienced the S.C.P., then I upgraded to the Fatal1ty and started to get S.C.P.. It drove me crazy. It only happened in GAME mode and during games such as BF2 and GRAW. I then purchased a SLi-D and the problem followed to this motherboard. I installed some beta drivers for my video card and the problem went away. Then it reared it ugly head again once I installed the latest nvidia drivers for my video card. In fact it becamse worse. I flashed my bios to the latest and it seems to have taken care of it.

Logan

any suggestions for where else to go?

Sign in to follow this