Sign in to follow this  
gadders

Help! DFI Infinity NF4 sli won't boot after bios flash

Hey everyone.

I am fairly new to the amd world and overclocking, any help would be greatly appriciated.

I have recently built a new rig, one in my sig. Everything was going fine booted first time, loaded windows no problems etc. I started to have a little play earlier to get used to the system and noticed that the bios was a few years out of date, I think it was the 06/2004, abd decided to update it to the newest one 10/2006. everything was going fine, flashed no problems, until it came to the restart. blank black screen, no post, nothing.

This seamed a little odd, going from a working system to nothing. I tried clearing the cmos and booting with only 1 stick of ram is different dimms, but nothing apart from the blank black screen. oh and a bleeping sound, i dont think it is the system speaker, tried booting with no ram to check and the beep was alot louder. this beep is very quiet, has 2 short beeps then a gap, keeps repeating. Thought it might have been the hdd failing so tried booting with out the hdd, but still the same sound.

I am really not sure what has happened, or how to fix it short of a rma.

anybody have anyideas?

Many thnaks

Is your power supply cutting it on a infinity? 380 seems a bit skimpy to me even on the infinity also you are mixing ram NEVER a good idea. If you flashed your bios with an unstable system you might have got a bad flash with your ram being 2 different types It wouldn't suprise me. Recommended power supply says minimu 480w 24 pin natuve psu for ALL nf4 boards so that would include the infinity I would guess. So get a proper power supply and decide which ram you want to use then do a long cmos clear and try then.Your even tring to run a dual core with a 380 + 4 dimms?http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...+power+supplies this will surely sove your troubles infinityramdimms.jpg

some general advice;

read recommended psu guide in my sig (and act upon it), along with the basic nf4 build guide.

you shouldnt really be booting firstly with 4 sticks of ram in, do a minimal build , basically take out everything and leave only the bits that are needed to function. ie use 1 stick of ram to start with.my second point, dont mix makes and even models of ram, this will hinder your ability to get a workin pc and to get any decent overclock.

ok so do what ive said already then do the full cmos clear as found somewhere in the forum, read this guide fully and dont skip anything.

If none of this works id try giving dfi a call for a replacement bios chip as you have probably got a corrupted bios. or see if someone on the forum can help you out with a reprogrammed chip or something of that nature.

Thanks for the advice, very useful, hopefully will solve a few things.

I have started a full coms clear wich is underway at the moment, so fingers crossed.

I have also had a look through the psu and nf4 build guide and am thinking about getting a Hiper 580W Type-R Modular PSU SLI, i was always a bit dubeious about a 380w psu from what i have read in reviews but seams to be quite happy and stable never more then .05v out out on 3.3, 5v and 12v so thought it would be ok for a minute until i could get hold a a decent psu. looking back at it, is a bit stupid skmping on the psu.

The ram i had no idea about, one of my friends convinced me that it would be ok aslong as the timings were the same. So i think i will jsut use the ocz ram for now. Sorry, bit of a newbie question, how come running a 3800x2 with 4 dimms is not a good idea?

Thanks guys

Sorry, bit of a newbie question, how come running a 3800x2 with 4 dimms is not a good idea?

From experience, it will kill your oc. In the long run, it may be hard on the mem controller.

O.k, that makes sence. Have only got a 2 dimms in use when my setup is runnng again.

Tried to boot after leaving the coms to clear for a good few hour, followng the full coms guide but no luck, guess i am after a new bios chip from dfi.

Thanks very much for the hlep guys. I think i should be able to get my setup up and running, hopfully.

How do I get hold of Tmod?

Dfi webmail is currently off line so i have no hope of cntacting them for a min.

gadders seeing as you in the uk and i dont think TMod ships outside the US you should maybe speak to these guys about a bios chip if that is the route that you want to go Motherboard BiosFlash Co Uk.

As to your PSU if your gonna be doing any sort of SLI or extra drives and stuff in the future i would maybe look at one of the OCZ psu's maybe the 600W GXS or the 700W GXS there a bit more expensive but a good investment in the long run...entirely up to you though ;)

Logan

Thanks guys. I got hold of Tmod last night and he refered me to a uk based bios chip company and have ordered a replacement chip. Thanks Logan didn't get your post until today.

Unfortunatly I would have liked to spend a little extra on an ocz psu, have been very impressed by there ram and customer services, but i am a student and on a bit of a budget. I checked the recomded psu list and saw that the hiper type r was on there so have managed to pick one up for about £50, cheepest ocz one i could fine was £75. I dont think i will be doing any sli work, maybe an extra hdd is about as far as i will go in the next year.

Logan: what other routes would there be apart from a bios chip replacement?