Sign in to follow this  
Jakg

Getting A DFi

well, its my first post here, you can see my specs in my sig, and i'm thinking of getting an Opty 165, and i thought i'd look into getting a slightly better overclocking board, and started looking around at DFI's, and i thought that a DFI Lanparty SLi-DR Expert (or Venus, but that would be to expensive, if i could even find one) would be the best bet - is it? i would like to overclock, SLi-ing is something i dont like that much (never got it working when i used to have 2x 6600GT's), and i cant see a point as the quickest thing going in a 939 (im thinking a 3.2 GHz FX-62, although i could never afford one!) still wouldn't make my card the bottleneck. I heard that the Expert added more BIOS options - does it? would i use them? if not then perhaps getting the "bog standard" Ultra-D might be better?

Also, i can see some SLi-DR Expert's on eBay (eBay.com - i live in the UK, but i can't find any on eBay over here, although i would like to know where i could get one over here), one has an hour to go and is currently at $50, only problem is that it's open box - would that make a difference?

Jakg

EDIT - Although the specs seem to be in my sig, they aren't showing up, so i'll post them again...

"AMD Athlon 4000 CABGE @ 2.7 GHz + Zalman Reserator

Asus A8N-SLi Premium + 1 Gb Team Xtreem DDR500 RAM (2 x 512 Mb) + Gainward 7950GT 256 Mb "Golden Sample"

2x 80 Gb SATA HDD's + 580 W Hiper PSU + Coolermaster Wavemaster Case

Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 + Creative P380's + Rubbish Headset For TS

Sony CD-RW/DVD-Rom + Sony DVD-Rom + Ilyama E431S Monitor"

well the mobo i was watching just ended for.... $61.02, or in £'s, £31.10 - there a few more on there, do i go for it?

make sure it comes with everything like backplate, sata cables, audio module, ide cable, drivers cd

well, its my first post here, you can see my specs in my sig, and i'm thinking of getting an Opty 165, and i thought i'd look into getting a slightly better overclocking board, and started looking around at DFI's, and i thought that a DFI Lanparty SLi-DR Expert (or Venus, but that would be to expensive, if i could even find one) would be the best bet - is it? i would like to overclock, SLi-ing is something i dont like that much (never got it working when i used to have 2x 6600GT's), and i cant see a point as the quickest thing going in a 939 (im thinking a 3.2 GHz FX-62, although i could never afford one!) still wouldn't make my card the bottleneck. I heard that the Expert added more BIOS options - does it? would i use them? if not then perhaps getting the "bog standard" Ultra-D might be better?

Also, i can see some SLi-DR Expert's on eBay (eBay.com - i live in the UK, but i can't find any on eBay over here, although i would like to know where i could get one over here), one has an hour to go and is currently at $50, only problem is that it's open box - would that make a difference?

Jakg

EDIT - Although the specs seem to be in my sig, they aren't showing up, so i'll post them again...

"AMD Athlon 4000 CABGE @ 2.7 GHz + Zalman Reserator

Asus A8N-SLi Premium + 1 Gb Team Xtreem DDR500 RAM (2 x 512 Mb) + Gainward 7950GT 256 Mb "Golden Sample"

2x 80 Gb SATA HDD's + 580 W Hiper PSU + Coolermaster Wavemaster Case

Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 + Creative P380's + Rubbish Headset For TS

Sony CD-RW/DVD-Rom + Sony DVD-Rom + Ilyama E431S Monitor"

If you are making the jump, you might as well go all the way, read this thread:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64749

You would have to sell the ram and cpu you have, but all else would work on the upgrade.

Good Luck.

i dont want a conroe, i just want a new mobo :D

i was going to go 165 because i want Dual Core, and because i could do with something a little faster to relieve my card, and an Opty upgrade would cost about £30 (upgrade as i would sell my existing CPU) - but seeing as i could sell my existing mobo for £60 on eBay, and buy an Expert for £40, then the whole upgrade costs £10, which is probably a VERY well spent tenner!

i dont want a conroe, i just want a new mobo :D

i was going to go 165 because i want Dual Core, and because i could do with something a little faster to relieve my card, and an Opty upgrade would cost about £30 (upgrade as i would sell my existing CPU) - but seeing as i could sell my existing mobo for £60 on eBay, and buy an Expert for £40, then the whole upgrade costs £10, which is probably a VERY well spent tenner!

Just wanted you to know that there are other options out there, yes 10 for an upgrade is good.

my mobo just sold on eBay for £66 and £80 (well, two identical for mine), and im watching a SLI-DR Expert on eBay, only problem is getting it to the UK will cost $40

Will it take my RAM?

SLi-ing is something i dont like that much (never got it working when i used to have 2x 6600GT's), and i cant see a point as the quickest thing going in a 939 (im thinking a 3.2 GHz FX-62, although i could never afford one!) still wouldn't make my card the bottleneck.

Assuming something close to a 3.0 overclock and 1600x1200 resolution or higher, the only video card that won't be a bottleneck will be the 8800 series.

Sign in to follow this