WinXP Pro - Activation on-line

old_geekster

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a good write up.

From article

"The threat of constant reactivation provoked such a serious public furor that Microsoft lightened up considerably on its reactivation trigger, and now indicates that it may reset your "change counter" sometime after 30, 60, or 90 or more days of using the same hardware."

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, is it when you activate windows xp or vista.......that the snapshot of your hardware takes place? I have some time left before I have to activate vista. I may get rid of it to a friend that wants it. Is he safe to install it on his machine just as long as I dont activate it? And can I update it without activating it cause I still don't know if I will keep the copy I bought.

Here's how the activation thing works...

As you all know the hardware change to re-activation works on a point system...6 points and you have to re-activate...

you are only allowed to re-activate usually 3 times and then it requires a phone call to MS to activate it over the phone...

But....after 6 months it reset...points and activation...I have done this several, several times...

The only way around this either...dont change anything...do a image of the drive to restore it... or find a copy of XP Corporate...(doesnt require activation)...;)