WinXP Pro - Activation on-line

old_geekster

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

Well, I had my first run-in with M$ over their "Product Activation". I re-installed XP Pro last evening after screwing up my RAID 0 Array by trying to "Resize" the OS partition with Partition Magic. This is a no, no! Believe me.

When I attempted to Activate my install, a message said that I had re-installed too many times. I would have to call to complete the Activation.

So, this morning, I called the number on the screen. I got a nice lady who could actually speak very good English. Of course, typical of my nature,:rolleyes: I had to voice my dismay at this out-rage. I knew the call was being recorded.

I told her that I had not read where it said anything about a limited amount of "Activations". She assured me that it was there. However, this rule only applies to on-line Activation. It is unlimited on the same computer by phone.

She gave me the Activation number and I was on my way. What a crock!!

One other thing, I am now not using RAID. I could not get my USB Floppy Drive to install the drivers. So, I will be using two separate drives for awhile; until I am ready to do another phone Activation of XP.:P

Yeah, it allows a max of like 3 automated activations, then after that you've got to call every time. It's a PITA, but they could be real @holes about it and say "one copy, one installation. Period." I usually get the Indian guy that I have to repeat back every string to make sure I got it, but other than that, a 3 minute free phone call is not too bad. Just remember, this software is only installed on this one computer only. ;)

The good thing is that each activation call does not take long.

Outsourcing it to India sucks, but being on hold for less than five minutes kicks butt.

In the last year, I have called maybe....three times? Hell, I hit the on-line activation limit in the first week I had XP....I wasn't happy with the installs...I am sort of wierd that way.

Ok, I am wierd in a lot of ways.

Yo, @radodrill, what's the name of the activation file ?

wpa.dbl and wpa.bak in %systemroot%system32. This will not work if the reactivation is required because of a significant hardware change.

I usually make a backup of a clean install.

when i need to reinstall i put back the backup.

Activating online does not work for me anymore too, did it too often on my computer (s) :rolleyes:;)

I have to call them and explain that i had a hardware change that forced me to re-activate XP.

They always ask me if it is installed on 1 computer, yes it is i tell him/her and i get the activation number.

but they could be real @holes about it and say "one copy, one installation. Period."

That's apparently what their doing with Vista... You can only activate it once, so if you change much of your hardware it looks like you'll be eating a new copy of Vista as well...

I'm going to start backing up fresh installs next time I install as calling them up or doing the online activation a few times a day for a week or two until it goes through is getting annoying.

That's apparently what their doing with Vista... You can only activate it once, so if you change much of your hardware it looks like you'll be eating a new copy of Vista as well...

I'm going to start backing up fresh installs next time I install as calling them up or doing the online activation a few times a day for a week or two until it goes through is getting annoying.

Nah, it was in the last issue of Maximum PC, MS caved into the enthusiasts and modified the EULA to read the same as XP- one machine at a time, as long as it's uninstalled from the old one, you're fine to reactivate it as many times as you want. Consumer pressures do work sometimes!

Is this only with WinXP Pro that you have a maximum of 3 automated online activations? I have WinXP Home and I know that I have done reinstalls with online activations at least one or more times than three....

my XP home only allowed me 10 times