Sign in to follow this  
Danuel

x2 3800+ vs x2 4400

currently i have the 3800, wondering since christmas is around the corner and all the folks will be throwing cash at me, would i notice a huge difference going from a 2x512 to a 2x1mb cpu, in other words going up to the 4400, in games and multitasking, the x939 x2s are only 189. 99 on new egg.

thanks

edit.

also looking @ the opteron 170 and 175, would those do better than a 4400? im looking to get into over clocking , and want a cpu that can handle it well. Will my current bios work fine with a opty 17?As well as another question, what is all the stepping raves about on the new egg reviews?

thanks

If you are wanting to simply enjoy a nice overclokcing experience, you can try a 165 with good steppings and see if you can get to 3 ghz. Looking at your RAM though it may not be a good idea. Those 165s will need DDR500 to overclock with. You may have some luck with a 170 or 4400 but still would benefit more with the DDR500 than your current RAM.

If you replace your 3800+ with any other dual core the real world difference would be very tough to notice. You may find that getting the DDR500 would help you more than a new cpu.

i had a x2 3800+ before i upgrade to a 2x 4400+.

The Cache is worth it, don't expect more OC potential though (or maybe i was just unlucky)

but both my chips brickwalled @ 2550

yep, if you can sell your x2 3800+ for a decent price and let's say throw $75,00 towards a x2 4400+ it's certainly worth it.

Usually I see that sometimes having more cache doesn't boost performance by a ton.. between the X2s you listed, though, the X2 4400 will have more performance cause of its 2mb combined cache, and the fact that it runs 200mhz faster at stock (but youre overclocking so that's irrelevant).

Agreed with the others, get the Opterons. They will give you the most bang for you buck, IMO. The 165 can be had for around $160 retail (warranties), while the X2 4400 can be had for $190 OEM.

Like Kingfisher said, it would be recommended to get an Opteron 170/175 due to your PC3200 RAM.

Sign in to follow this