Huge problems with entire system

Just me thinking out loud here, but wouldn't it make sense that if there was a problem that serious with the power supply to smoke 3 hard drives within 2 seconds of boot and a DVD drive, it would have smoked the board and the vid card as well......

Just me thinking out loud here, but wouldn't it make sense that if there was a problem that serious with the power supply to smoke 3 hard drives within 2 seconds of boot and a DVD drive, it would have smoked the board and the vid card as well......

good point

still straight to loose so many doe

The Mobo & gfx cards or not powered by the molex connectors so it could still & very likely be dodgy shorting in the psu giving the 5v line in the molex more than 5v.

Hi everyone

The reasons I am pointing the finger at the motherboard are as follows:

1. The other molex connected devices appear to be functioning normally. (fans, LCD display, floppy drive, DVD drive before it died)

2. The DVD drive only died once I had changed the channel on which it was working.

3. I have tested a spare HDD on the molex connectors but using a PCI IDE card. It apparently worked fine.

I have not completely cleared the PSU. My inexplicable loss in overclocked stability, plus the fact that the damn system isn't even Prime stable at stock speeds makes me suspicious. My problem is that I don't have a reasonable replacement PSU, and I can't get one easily at this time of year. (if anyone wants to send me an Etasis 850 they are more than welcome :) .)

I will think about more test tomorrow. I will check the spare hard drive in as many configurations as I can. Obviously the only way I will prove anything is if it breaks, but it's only 2gb anyway.

thanks for all you ideas, please tell me if you can suggest anything.

Sounds like a PSU or type of surge problem to me. If you are going to replace it, I would suggest a PC Power & Cooling Power supply if they are available where you live. I am running a 510 ASL with no problems. I know a few others because of there future needs are running the 610 or bigger series. It appears there systems are running well.

As many have discovered before when attempting to get a motherboard to run stable, your power supply can make you or break you. I am not saying this is an absolute solution to your issue, but I would certainly test if not replace that power supply before I would even consider hooking it up to any more drives of any type.

Jason

hello Comicdom. Hope you had a good christmas (if you celebrate it that is :) )

I'm aware of the ultra-high quality of PC P&C powersupplies, but I'm also aware of the price. I think I will seriously study my options later today (Tuesday).

Obviously the PSU could be down to the complete loss of stability, even though I still have other issues like the hard lock problem.

Sean