Sign in to follow this  
Guest MadDias_merged

crippled opty165 after ihs removal

Guest MadDias

hi folks,

i removed the ihs on my cpu last night. i wasn´t very careful doin this, cause i scratched some of the green pbc on the outside of the ihs.

when i now want to boot my system with 2 ram sticks, i just get the long beeps saying that my ram couldn´t be detected. i can boot into windows with only one stick of ram, so i think i ruined the mem controller on my cpu in some way.

as for dropping the temps, the ihs removal didn´t really help. i will keep the ihs on my next 165 which is on the way.

Guest MadDias

i´ll take some pics next week when i get my new cpu.

right now i´m using this crippled thing with only 1gb ram.

i hope that it´s just the cpu that doesn´t like dualchannel ram and that it didn´t fry my ramslots.

can a faulty cpu damage ramslots?

I seriously doubt that a faulty CPU could damage the RAM slots.

I concur. I had a faulty CPU once, it didn't do anything to the board.

I see a lot of this lately, you guys gotta be careful. I took mine off a week or two ago, and I just took my time since I had a pretty dull blade. I finally got mostly through and I felt the blade slightly brush against something, of course I immediately pulled the blade out a bit, but continued. I held the blade like a forward slash (/) and cut clockwise (->), that way the blade would glide along the edge of anything in the way instead of a full impact. When I finally did get the IHS off, it looked as clean my socket A chips, except for the glue residue obviously. I didn't time myself, but it might have taken 10 minutes at my rate. Cut slow and light instead of fast and forceful and try to feel for any obstructions .

I dunno what to say except for s*** happens. My friend also ruined his 165 due to IHS removal. Then again, he had a pretty crappy stepping (CCBWE 0551) so it only gave him an excuse to buy another 165 :).

I got myself one of those 0551, and it tops out at 2.7 no matter what, I even removed the ihs to get better cooling, which I got, it idles 33-35 and loads 45-50 while priming, Core Temp reads 3-5 degrees higher. But anyway, I also nicked one of the resistors or something inside, I know because instead of a sharp corner on it, it is now rounded and a closer look on my magnifying glass, it is nicked, but its still kicking strong after six months. Your problem could be casued by something else, my X2 acts that way when I remove the cpu out of the socket or remove the ram sticks. It needs a clear cmos in my case to set it right again, then I load optimized default then load the saved settings.

I concur. I had a faulty CPU once, it didn't do anything to the board.

Me too, you've probably just nicked a track in the cpu pcb, and thats why it dont work right.