Sign in to follow this  
Nyte

Random Lockups with no Event Viewer Log

Hi,

I've been having the following issue for quite some time now. I would randomly get a system freeze every day a couple of times. But some days, there would be no freezes.

I tried to see if I could isolate the problem but still could not. In fact, I even encountered a lockup while I was in the BIOS menu changing some settings!

Then today, I decide to do a low level format (by writing zeros to HD) and reinstall everything. Problem persists.

So here's what I know:

1) Random lock ups (no restart or BSOD), forces me to restart.

2) Encountered a lock up while in BIOS menu.

3) The only warning in Event Viewer log is "TCP/IP" maximum connections.

4) The only error in Event Viewer log is "PerfNet".

5) The above 2 points cannot obviously contribute to the freeze because they occur several minutes before it actually freezes.

6) I loaded the ULI drivers found on the DFI site during the WinXP install (F6). Then after I finished installing, I installed the ULI 2.20 drivers I found off their website.

7) In my BIOS, I have enabled 10% Extra Current for PCI-E. I have also set a 130W Power Draw Limit for GFX Slot 0 (Where my GFX card lies).

8) I have tried slots 2/4 and 1/3 for memory and both seems to show no difference.

Hopefully that is enough information for someone to diagnose.

Thank you,

Stephen

I'm not sure myself exactly where the problem lies, but I was having this issue myself a while ago. When I was running everything at stock speeds, the system would just freeze every now and then - no bsod no event log no nothing. After overclocking (and upping some voltages) the issue went away and the system runs for however long I need it to without issue.

I'm not sure myself exactly where the problem lies, but I was having this issue myself a while ago. When I was running everything at stock speeds, the system would just freeze every now and then - no bsod no event log no nothing. After overclocking (and upping some voltages) the issue went away and the system runs for however long I need it to without issue.

Can you post your settings? I'm getting the freezing also. I'd really like to get this board working. I have everything running stock right now. My CPU is close to yours & my RAM looks to be the same.

I used to get lock ups randomly. I know I don't have the same DFI board as you all. It was suggested to me to remove my Creative Sound Card. I removed it and haven't had a lock up sense.

I get lockups all the time..I hate to restart about 3 times when it's been off overnight..

Oh yea, mine won't even turn off using windows shutdown or restart. It's a hard shutdown or reset evertime I power down.

In that case reomve the board from the casing and strip it down to CPU&Cooler, 1 Memory module in slot 2, 1 Videocard in PCIE1, the power supply connected at all 3 points on the MB, Keyboard/Mouse, 1 HD, 1 CD/DVD device configured as Secondary Master. All other devices should be removed from the system. From here boot to BIOS, load the "Optimized Defaults", and set the "First Boot Device" to "CD-ROM". After this access Genie BIOS Setting>DRAM Configuration and input the following settings:

-DRAM Frequency: 200mhz (01:01)

-Command per Clock: Disabled

-CAS Latency Control: 3.0

-DRAM Drive Strength: Level 5

-DRAM Data Drive Strength: Level 3

Save and exit. Do not make other changes to BIOS settings. Proceed from here to do a fresh install of Win XP 32 bit, ensuring that the HD is fully formatted with NTFS. Also nothing should be slipstreamed onto the OS install CD, with the possible exception of SP2. Once at desktop install Direct x 9.x and your videocard drivers. Also install Microsoft's .net framework as it is on the MB support CD. After this install the chipset and LAN drivers as they are on the MB support CD as well. Lastly install a benchmark utility like 3D Mark and note if it will run smoothly under these conditions.