broadband and internet discussion

DuTcH

you have to constantly check.... thats how they make money by people who just keep the slow and pay...

I always check...if the price is the same or close I get the fastest... they been putting fiber optic in the ground here for 2 years now...when they get it hooked up...I am on it...15,000/5,000 for the same price as 3,000/768

yay for T1!

The speeds are constant at 1.5mbps up, and 1.5mbps down, but that's what I love about it, and because it's dual-duplex, I usually play games with ping times of 5-10ms depending on the server. Also, in bittorrent, I usually get very good speeds of about 200kbps up, and 200kbps down, all at the same time!!!

-notroosmacfan

I have Comcast 8mb down and 768kb up, Downloads vary on server location but I'm usually around the 900kb actual DL and 70kb actual Up. I have actually hit the 2mb mark on certain sites. This is uncapped up and down and costs me 69 bucks a month. I have no loyalty to my ISP and would change to something better and cheaper in a split second. I love the fact that some people never got to experience dialup. Man the most I could download then was 13Mb in an hour...lol now I do that in under 30 seconds. The very thought of Fiber Optic gives me a chubby :D

yay for T1!

The speeds are constant at 1.5mbps up, and 1.5mbps down, but that's what I love about it, and because it's dual-duplex, I usually play games with ping times of 5-10ms depending on the server. Also, in bittorrent, I usually get very good speeds of about 200kbps up, and 200kbps down, all at the same time!!!

-notroosmacfan

I ran a check a few weeks ago and according to the speed testing site I used, it was 7336kb/s down and 120kb/s up. I was surprised at the 7Mbs down, as Comcast is only supposed to be around 6Mb/s (at least that is what I am paying $50 a month for).

Now if we talked STABILITY, Comcast is pure unadulturated crap in my neighborhood. Not too long ago, I had no internet at all for nearly 4 days, and the damn service reset so much, it fubared by router settings and it took me a while to figure out it wasn't resetting to the correct MAC address.

As for download speeds go, so few site truly reflect download speed as most will cap per connection. I am seriously considering forgoing the extra $10 per month for the extra 1Mb/s I spend due to the fact that I so rarely test the limits of my connection download speed....well, except when I download scads of naughty films. ;)

I hate ISP's they suck I thought I'd share my frustrations and open up the discussion to you all and to ask a few questions as well

my cable broadband speed is up to 10 meg dl which is not an accurate description as I've only ever reached 7.5 speeds and only ever rarely seen dl speeds of upto 2mbps (and yes this is a rant)

whats your best dl?

uploads, my greatest bug bare, my upload speed is 1.5m but i have never seen over 700k which is rubbish special as ive been trying to start a gaming server

whats best your ul?

and cost? over priced here in the uk mine costs £35 p/m ( ive never paid this i'm paying £18,lol)

so a new line is in order sdsl yes fast sychronised and dedicated line cheaper?!? every where in the world except the uk which still remains at around £300 p/m, ouch! very ouch!

so what to do? this part of the computing world does not seem to be keeping the pace of the high speed progressive momentum that is computing

thoughts?

Thats because its Variable DSL, 10meg is the theoreticle maximum you can achielve. Once you add in overheads and line noise its lower. The DSLAM and Modem communicate with each other and establish the line rate dependant on several factors such as SNR and what your BRAS is.

As well as that the DSLAM will also change the availible bandwidth (Frequency) it reserves for the upstream and downstream depending several factors again. In reality 2mb upload isnt actually that bad for a service in the UK unless your on a dedicated line or SDSL of some sort.

If your looking to start a serious gaming server you will need at least a T1 connection (2mb SDSL).

As for myself, i get around 4mb down and 1mb up and thats with a extansion phone socket and aprrox 10m extension cable running from that. If i plug directly into the master socket im likely to get around 5.5mb download, upload is difficult to tell but will probably be around 1.2mb or so.

I ran a check a few weeks ago and according to the speed testing site I used, it was 7336kb/s down and 120kb/s up. I was surprised at the 7Mbs down, as Comcast is only supposed to be around 6Mb/s (at least that is what I am paying $50 a month for).

Now if we talked STABILITY, Comcast is pure unadulturated crap in my neighborhood. Not too long ago, I had no internet at all for nearly 4 days, and the damn service reset so much, it fubared by router settings and it took me a while to figure out it wasn't resetting to the correct MAC address.

As for download speeds go, so few site truly reflect download speed as most will cap per connection. I am seriously considering forgoing the extra $10 per month for the extra 1Mb/s I spend due to the fact that I so rarely test the limits of my connection download speed....well, except when I download scads of naughty films. ;)

Dude I have the extra 1mb and its not worth it honestly. I was paying 50 bucks a month for the 3mb then I wanted the extra to make it 4mb, then they upped the service from 3-6 and 4-8 so now im paying 70+ bucks. they keep throwing in little charges that just piss me off, and your 100% right sometimes you just want to walk into a comcast office and strangle someone.

Unreliable as hell, but its the best I can do around here but I patiently wait for something cheaper and better.