broadband and internet discussion

DuTcH

I hate ISP's they suck I thought I'd share my frustrations and open up the discussion to you all and to ask a few questions as well

my cable broadband speed is up to 10 meg dl which is not an accurate description as I've only ever reached 7.5 speeds and only ever rarely seen dl speeds of upto 2mbps (and yes this is a rant)

whats your best dl?

uploads, my greatest bug bare, my upload speed is 1.5m but i have never seen over 700k which is rubbish special as ive been trying to start a gaming server

whats best your ul?

and cost? over priced here in the uk mine costs £35 p/m ( ive never paid this i'm paying £18,lol)

so a new line is in order sdsl yes fast sychronised and dedicated line cheaper?!? every where in the world except the uk which still remains at around £300 p/m, ouch! very ouch!

so what to do? this part of the computing world does not seem to be keeping the pace of the high speed progressive momentum that is computing

thoughts?

Most ISPs base their connection speeds on the fact that the average internet user primarily does web browsing and very little uploading; which really hurts those of us who do a lot of gaming, VOIP, hosting, etc.

Another source of confusion is that many ISPs only advertise their capped (max) speeds and very rarely do they list nominal speeds.

Our current ISP (Adelphia) advertises nominal speeds of 3mbp/384kbps and I've often had connection speeds of 4mbps/420kbps. Next month Comcast is taking over the service in our area and they advertise a capped DL speed of 6mbps; I only found out that the average upload speed is 384kbps by calling them (not listed anywhere on their website).

Just shows another way to make money; people think that the advertised faster speed actually is faster.

High speed T1 lines are pricey because they are typically utilized by businesses that require a lot of bandwidth for their networks.

Best upload, 9.5 mbps. Best download, 31 mbps.. cmes out to 3.85 MBps, and 1.15 MBps. I do an average of 1 TB down, 500 GB up monthly, but it went down tremendously as of late.. I barely download more than 5-15 GB a day, between me and my dad. I pay $55 a month.

Verizon approved my area for FIOS by mistake, it wasn't officially approved until.. I think a week ago. It's pretty great. It's(obviously) not capped, and they have 24/7 customer service over the phone.

Best upload, 9.5 mbps. Best download, 31 mbps.. cmes out to 3.85 MBps, and 1.15 MBps. I do an average of 1 TB down, 500 GB up monthly, but it went down tremendously as of late.. I barely download more than 5-15 GB a day, between me and my dad. I pay $55 a month.

Verizon approved my area for FIOS by mistake, it wasn't officially approved until.. I think a week ago. It's pretty great. It's(obviously) not capped, and they have 24/7 customer service over the phone.

I hate you:D :D :D :D :D

god damn.

i got 6mbit down, 800kbit up. good enough fer me.

I live out in the sticks so to speak, so my connection isnt that great. I usually get 4.8 or so down, but ive seen upto 8-9ish, around 350 upload average, but down as low as 150ish (was faster on the R.I.P. rig in my sig, but Im just using a web PC now)

Damn that's good:shake: :nod:

Wish I had that kind of speeds:drool:

The highest speed we can connect down here in Australia is 24mbps (ADSL2+), but since I am about 1 kilometer from my exchange (0.6 miles), the highest I can connect at is 10mbps, 1mbps upload all the time.... I pay $45 (roughly $35 usd) with a 10gig download cap....

That cap is rough.. I could go through that in a day or two on my old 768/128.

My ISP used to upgrade packages every six months, for the same price. 768/128, 1.5/128, 1.5/384, 3000/768. However, they never told their users. For three years I used the 768/128 package while others were getting 3000/768 with ping times that didn't suck for the same price.. until I saw a thread on dslreports.com where people were raving over paying $30 for 3000/768, and getting 100ms better pings than me.