A possible new patch for multi-core procs from MS

I came across this support article on the Microsoft web site:

"Computers that are running Windows XP Service Pack 2 and that are equipped with multiple processors that support processor power management features may experience decreased performance"

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=896256

I haven't been able to test it as I am at work at the moment (don't tell my boss I read dfi-street at work). I'll probably try the patch on my system at home tonight when I get home from work.

In the meantime I thought I post to share the info.

Please post any experiences any one else has with this update.

As far as MS is usually concerned, and some software makers in general, their lingo of "multiple processors" usually means "multiple socket motherboards", not multiple cores on the same chip. I can't say for 100% surety, but I know that's how some of their other software reads the system.

Be Aware!

That patch refresh is from October 30, 2006.

If you downloaded and installed the update after that date you do not need to run it again.

The page its self was updated on December 19, 2006 not the patch.

Be Aware!

That patch refresh is from October 30, 2006.

The page its self was updated on December 19, 2006 not the patch.

Eww, missed that. Me bad. Never had the need to install it so I would'nt have caught the file(s) actual dating.

Thanks.

.. Rick

Don't need the MS hotfix since AMD released the dual core optimizer, that was the point behind AMD releasing it too begin with!

Exactly: both things accomplish the same purpose, one via Software while the other via Hardware (driver).