Sign in to follow this  
NINaudio

use other PEG slot?

First, I'm not sure if this should go in motherboards or video cards, I hope it's in the right place.

I'm looking into getting an 8800gtx. The problem is that I'm sure it will not fit with my chipset block on. I was wondering if it is possible to use the 2nd PEG slot or if that would cause a problem?

If you mean the second PCI-e slot then yes you can use this slot just make sure you have enabled sli in the bios so that each slot is running att 8x

8800 series cards require a true 16x slot to run at full speed. Both the standard and expert series of the DFI nf4 boards are currently only able to run the second PCI-E slot at 8x speed (in SLi mode) or 2x (in standard mode)... Also, make sure that the card actually fits in your case! ...these cards are massive, something like 275mm long, which rules them out of all but the larger cases without modifications...

Have you considered the Alphacool NexXxos NB-SLI chipset block? Not sure if it will fit with an 8800 - but they are designed to be low profile for the DFI boards...

I'm not worried about it fitting in the case, there's plenty of room for that in an Armor! That block does look like it could be an option, though I was hoping I wouldn't have to take the mobo out again....

So one of these cards would saturate an 8x connection?

From what I have read their is still no card that can fully saturate an 8x slot. If the 8800 required a 16x slot then no one could run sli on a DFI board which is not the case.

I haven't run the 8800 at x8 myself but ViperJohn has and found the following.

I have run the 8800GTX single card in both 8 and 16 lane slots with a 3ghz FX-60 and the benchmark numbers are almost identical but running in a two lane slot will just totally kill the cards performance.Viper