best X2 939 for overclocking.

marcopolo

The Opteron 165 or 170.

I know you said x2, but they are very scarce right now & you will pay probably pay way more for an x2 then an opteron that will clock as high or higher.

I just noticed that you are in scotland, so the above may not apply, but here in the US that is the way things are.

Thnaks. I noticed in the overclocking database many opty's. It's been 2 years since i set up my oc's A64 3000 rig so i've been out of the game for a long time and want to upgrade.

I'll now look at the Opty road....

I've the 623 bios on a SLI-DR. I presume I need a newer bios.

From what I have read, it is the 4800+ X2.

I have a 4200+ X2 and I can overclock to 2.65 w/o probs but higher is a pain.

It it also depends in a big way on the DDRAM you are running in your MOBO.

I got mine for a pretty decent price @ €160. Opteron 165s are going new for about that price here in Europe.

Personally, I regret not going with an Opteron. They are server CPUs and are more robust than the X2s.

:)

It doesn't matter if you want to oc or not, opty is the best choise. More stable and cooler than any X2 you can get for 939. If you have watercooling in your rig, expirience and a little bit of luck, you might be able to get up to 3G. There is no other way to get so high with any other X2 (exept if you using phase change) or you go for FX-60.:)

It doesn't matter if you want to oc or not, opty is the best choise. More stable and cooler than any X2 you can get for 939. If you have watercooling in your rig, expirience and a little bit of luck, you might be able to get up to 3G. There is no other way to get so high with any other X2 (exept if you using phase change) or you go for FX-60.

Oh really now... ;)

3 ghz with an X2 on air

I got my opty 165 yesterday, well chuffed with it. Only at 2.5ghz at the mo but ran Prime for 11 hours with no problems whatsoever, max temp 40c! Will go higher but I'm happy at this speed for now. Komplett (uk) have them for £110 now, when I ordered 5 days ago they were £99! Smug? Yes I am....